Project Life, Week 6 (and breaking through ‘that wall’)

Project Life by Rhonda Mason/Pink Ronnie (www.pinkronnie.com)

Friends, what a difference two weeks make! When I wrote this post, I was well and truly despairing whether I would ever find my Project Life mojo again. I couldn’t envision what my spreads would look like, I kept questioning whether I should change over to monthly spreads instead of weekly spreads, and I felt completely overwhelmed at the thought of falling more than five weeks behind.

In the end, it came down to two things. First, I simply got over the fact that my photography style was changing and that my photos would no longer look the same as they did before. I stopped doubting and embraced my new visual voice. The ironic thing is that I’ve always known this to be true since it’s happened before, and I even wrote about it in this post. However, this latest shift has been the hardest for me to come to terms with because I had grown so very comfortable with what I was doing before. It worked extremely well for me, and it was hard to open up my mind to the possibility that something else might work just as well – or even better. I’ll touch on this more in another photography post, but at the end of the day, I just had to go with the flow.

My other ‘ah ha’ realisation was this: just because everyone else around me was seemingly shaking things up and changing the way they were approaching their Project Life album this year, it didn’t mean that I had to as well. I love my weekly spreads and all the templates I’ve set up work really well for me, so why change it just for the sake of changing? Given that my photography was already changing, it eventually dawned that it would actually be a good thing to maintain the same approach to my design and layouts.

And so, over the course of a few days, I finally broke down the wall and managed to create four weeks worth of spreads and inserts. I couldn’t be more stoked. Today, I’m sharing Week 6 with you all, and I hope to post more in the coming weeks and months.

Project Life by Rhonda Mason/Pink Ronnie (www.pinkronnie.com)

What happened in Week 6?
We saw my parents for the first time since they returned from their six-week trip to Hong Kong. They were pretty psyched to see the boys again, and vice versa. I made roast chicken for the first time, Edward started to grow hair in a big way, and I gave Jamie a haircut which Rick did not like. He thought it made Jamie look too much like a girl. Needless to say, I responded rather defensively until I realised it was exactly the same haircut that my own mum used to give me when I was little. (Woops.)

How were the photos taken and processed?
All photos were taken with my Fujifilm X100S and edited using VSCO Film in Aperture.

Favourite photos from Week 6?
All the photos of the children are lovely, but my favourite is actually the one of the cup of Milo on the windowsill. Milo is one of my ‘comfort drinks’ and I remember it was cold and rainy that day, so looking at the photo makes me feel all warm and cosy inside.

Number of pages and inserts?
I had three 8×10 inserts and one 8×8 insert.

Overall thoughts?
I love how all the colours and tones in the first page blend together so well. It’s one of my favourite pages in our 2014 album to date.

Supplies used?
Becky Higgins Design A page protector; Kodak 210gsm glossy premium photo paper. All photos printed on the Canon MG6360 Pixma using genuine Canon ink.

How is your Project Life coming along this year?

Other posts you might be interested in reading:
My weekly Project Life process from beginning to end
Tips on taking photos for Project Life
What you need to get started with Project Life

You can read all my Project Life posts here.

juni March 17, 2014 at 9:55 am

I always love your project life posts, they are always make me feel that you are sharing a part of your heart with us. Thumbs up for breaking down “the wall”, these spreads look so lovely!

Caylee March 17, 2014 at 9:57 am

Congrats on breaking through the wall. I’m still behind it, though I am hitting it hard enough for it to crumble a bit. That pressure to change just cause everyone else is changing it up… I’ve got it. I’m only on my second year of PL so why I feel the need to change is beyond me. Although I do have a feeling that it is linked to my creative block.

Love the titbit about your Jamie’s hair, and I love how your weeks look, as always.

Caroline Beeson Bachi March 17, 2014 at 10:17 am

Yay welcome back mojo :) beautiful spread I love tones & colours too & also the reds & blues on the second page x

Kathy March 17, 2014 at 10:43 am

Glad to see you have “let go” and embraced the new look with the same old format. Don’t stress out too much as I’m still working on my digital 2013 album. Trying to do a little bit each day but have about 15 weeks to go and then I have to load it up to get a photo book printed probably with blurb which I’ve used before. I haven’t even started this year yet but doing it digitally is a little easier because no printing is invol ed as it’s the drag and drop method. Everyone needs a little break before they kick off with it all again given you had a baby, started and created some courses as well. You’ve done so well but sometimes you need some down time not to think about it all and start again. Great job on the pages. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

Cara March 17, 2014 at 10:45 am

Whew! So glad you have made peace with yourself, and I look forward to continuing to follow your beautiful pages.

Marie March 17, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Yeah !!! So happy to see your layouts again, and to see that your mojo is back! Love your layout, as usual. I go on with my project life, putting together 2 weeks right now (and it will be updated). Like you, I saw lots of Project Lifers changing the way they do their PL this year. I totally understand the will to change things up a bit, but at the end, I personnaly prefer going up with weekly layouts in design A page protectors. The only thing I see changing is that I’m going more and more minimalist in the way I put my layouts together (my pictures, Liz’s Midnight core kit and a pen are enough for me), and I’m happy with that. Thanks a lot for sharing Ronnie. Marie xoxo

Roos March 18, 2014 at 12:38 am

Good on you, Ronnie! Apart from documenting the everyday life and growth of your family, you are documenting your own growth/evolution as a photographer and storyteller. How special. I feel lucky for having the opportunity to visit here and enjoy the evocative photographs you take. Your images and words inspired me to start a project life album this year.

Sandie @ AppleBee Lane March 18, 2014 at 6:07 am

Love your photos … the most important think is you’re creating memories!

eric March 20, 2014 at 6:59 am

Hi Ronnie,
I read that you used VSCO for Aperture but the actual “film” is not listed. Care to share which one you used?

Pink Ronnie March 20, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Hey Eric,
I have both 01 and 02. I used to use K Portra 800 the post.
Nowadays, I mainly just add the Faded/Contrast+ preset in the Toolkit and leave it at that. I find that this preserves the original colour tones of my images the most, and I like that. Hope that helps!

Carin March 20, 2014 at 8:27 am

So glad you worked through all your obstacles and found your way back to project life.