Stories of home

Stories of Home, by Rhonda Mason/Pink Ronnie (www.pinkronnie.com)Stories of Home, by Rhonda Mason/Pink Ronnie (www.pinkronnie.com)Stories of Home, by Rhonda Mason/Pink Ronnie (www.pinkronnie.com)Stories of Home, by Rhonda Mason/Pink Ronnie (www.pinkronnie.com)

I came upon an idea the other day: to curate a new story-telling series about homes.

Other people’s homes.

Homes that are old. And homes that are new. Homes of couples, singles and families. Homes of people with little children, and homes of people who have grandchildren and even great-grandchildren.

Obviously the success of this series depends largely on my ability to get out and about with my own little people. And whether people are happy to let me into their homes. I guess I’ll need to work on an ‘opening’ that doesn’t make me sound creepy or strange.

Let me say from the outset that this is not a series about decor, interiors and styled shots.

Instead, it’s about shadows, hidden corners, unassuming vignettes and, of course, light. (It’s always about light.) I want each frame to tell a story, to capture something of the home’s inhabitants. I want every shot to be poignant. And evocative.

The owners of each home shall remain anonymous. Partly to add to the mystery, and partly to make room for your own imagination…

I’ve always admired photographers with the ability to create a whole new world for people to escape into.

Hopefully, through this series, I can learn to do this more and more myself…

(The photos above are the first of the series. They were all taken on my Fujifilm x100s and processed with VSCO Film in Aperture.)

Rose D. Frenchtown, NJ USA February 5, 2014 at 11:21 pm

This sounds interesting…Can’t wait.

Anna Gutermuth February 5, 2014 at 11:23 pm

I love this idea. Can’t wait for your first installment!

Jen February 6, 2014 at 12:03 am

Sounds wonderful Ronnie! I’d invite you to my house if I wasn’t a world away in Canada. Looking forward to the first installment.

rachel del grosso February 6, 2014 at 1:31 am

wish you were nearby so my home could be featured :)

Carin February 6, 2014 at 6:55 am

This is a lovely idea. Homes are infused with our heart and soul. I look forward to this series.

Pink Ronnie February 6, 2014 at 10:04 pm

That’s so true, Carin, and such a beautiful way of putting it…

mel February 6, 2014 at 8:05 am

Looking forward to this series too, and I think I may also do this myself :)

sarah February 6, 2014 at 8:53 am

I adore! You are a wealth of inspiration, lady.
Sar xx

Michelle February 6, 2014 at 9:34 am

I’m in the southern suburbs of Sydney and would be honoured to be featured, if i were to be so lucky!

Pink Ronnie February 6, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Will keep that in mind, Michelle! :)

Amanda February 6, 2014 at 11:55 am

Ooh I really love this idea! I truly think it’s those corners and vignettes that really stick in our memories through our life. My parents moved out of my childhood home when I was 20, but I vividly remember the strangest details, like which stair on the staircase creaked, the exact pattern of the wallpaper, the view from the windows. And while my husband and I have moved around so much since we got married – it’s the little things about each house that stick out in my brain. I can’t wait to learn from your perspective in this project!

Pink Ronnie February 6, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I’m the same, and sometimes in dreams, I find myself revisiting my childhood home and experiencing things like jumping out my bedroom window and into the bush below – something I never actually did but did think about as a little girl.

Amanda February 9, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I do that too! It’s the strangest thing. Just goes to show how much the details of our childhood are ingrained in our minds. :)

rachel February 6, 2014 at 12:01 pm

I am so excited to watch this series unfold. And I love the mystery of it and that it is so genuine. My imagination is prepared to run.

amber February 6, 2014 at 11:24 pm

this is a great idea! your a wonderful photographer, and i particularly like the idea of making the homes anonymous! can’t wait to see :)

Sarah February 7, 2014 at 12:22 am

This is a wonderful idea and I’m excited to follow this series. I can’t wait to try and capture our home in this way. I love your photography and reading your blog. You are very inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

Pink Ronnie February 7, 2014 at 3:15 am

Thanks so much for your sweet words, Sarah. It’s lovely to have you here.

Kim Craig February 7, 2014 at 10:41 am

If your out in the hills feel free to pop by!

Sarah @ zincmoon February 8, 2014 at 10:36 am

What a lovely idea! It will be an insight into what different people call “home”! Will look forward to following the series! How are you loving the Fuji x100s? I am hopefully going to upgrade from the X100 in the next few weeks…can hardly wait!

Pink Ronnie February 8, 2014 at 10:55 am

I am totally smitten with the x100s. It’s totally changed the way I photograph. Before, I used to do portraits on my DSLR and ‘artistic’ sort of shots on my iPhone. But realistically I hardly brought my DSLR out ever, and I was becoming wary of the quality of my iPhone photos. The x100s allows me to shoot both ways, and I just keep it with me everywhere. Love it so much. Will be writing about it more as part of my new series about re-discovering my visual voice…