Project Life, Week 32

Goodness, I feel like all I’ve been doing in my spare time these last few weeks has been Project Life. Because August was such a busy month with the workshop, I decided I would leave the boys’ albums till this month. This means I’ve been catching up on two months’ worth of photos and quotes for each of the boys in the last few weeks. This was no small task, considering I had to squeeze it in amidst the busyness of family life. I even found myself asking Rick at least a few times along the way: “Do you really think the boys will appreciate all this when they are older?” And every single time, he would look me in the eye and say, “Yes. I really do.” Isn’t he just the most wonderful husband a memory keeping girl can ask for? Anyway, as you may have noticed, I am no longer posting Project Life updates in chronological order as I’ve been finding that too restrictive. Also, larger images are back – you simply have to click on the image you wish to see more clearly.

What happened in Week 32?
This was the week I needed to send off our workshop booklet to print in order to have it arrive on time. The deadline was Tuesday afternoon and I literally did not sleep on Monday night. I was such a zombie for those two days. Thankfully, super-helpful grandparents were here to help out with the boys while I locked myself up in my studio and forced myself to write and lay up pages at super-human speed. Seriously, the only effective antidote to my procrastination is a looming deadline, it seems. It was also the week that Patrick died on Offspring, sending an entire nation of women into shock.

How were the photos taken and processed?
All photos were taken on my iPhone 4S and processed with the VSCO Cam app.

Favourite photo(s) from Week 35?
I love the photos of Pete and Jamie. It’s such a cute sequence of shots and I feel like it really captures their innocence, their curiosity and their friendship. I also adore the photo of Jamie before his afternoon nap (the first photo on the second page), as the interplay of light and shadow is just perfect. You can see the photo more clearly in this post.

Number of pages and inserts?
Just the usual two page layout – no inserts!

Overall thoughts?
I love the greys and whites with pops of blue throughout the spread. You get the sense that it’s still winter but with little hints of spring. The image sequence on the second page is also a favourite. Try this easy technique if you need to fill up pockets – it’s such a fun way to capture the essence of a relationship.

Supplies used?
Becky Higgins Design A page protector; Kodak 210gsm glossy premium photo paper. All photos printed on the Canon MG6360 Pixma using genuine Canon ink.

If you’ve recently shared a Project Life post on your blog, feel free to leave a link below.

Other posts you might be interested in reading:
My weekly Project Life process from beginning to end
Tips on taking photos for Project Life
What you need to get started with Project Life

You can read all my Project Life posts here.

Project Life is a system created by Becky Higgins that is designed to simplify your efforts to document life and help get your photos into a book. To learn more about the product and how to get started, click here.

Nirupama September 20, 2013 at 3:24 am

Beautiful pages. I sometimes wonder if all the stickers and things I add to pages really look good at all. You make it look so professional and good. You have a great eye (and hand)..

Corina Nika September 20, 2013 at 5:09 am

I know i say that a lot. But you inspire me to the fullest! I just love the journal you’re making, it’s so precious and you’re such a wonderful woman and mom. Your husband is definitely the best, and i’ll say it too. Your kids will totally appreciate what you’re doing. I even can’t wait to have my first baby and do the same. And one day when it’s all grown up i’ll tell him or her about you. How did such a great job and you inspired me!

Pink Ronnie September 20, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Oh Corina, thanks for your wonderful words of encouragement! You totally made my day.

linussally September 20, 2013 at 1:35 pm

As always, love love love the PL spread! I’m also behind with my weekly PL updates b/c of a busy last month of summer here in Toronto! And in reference to your post some weeks ago about photo quality on the iphone 4S, I also find my pics not as sharp as before… almost grainy in most indoor pics. I wonder if it’s due to how often I use the camera on my phone…?!

P.S. All your mentioning about the Offspring is tempting me to start watching it. I’m sure I can find some episodes on the internet =)

Pink Ronnie September 20, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Are you based in Australia, Sally? I think Offspring is one of our best television shows. It’s drama and comedy all rolled into one, and it is GOOD!!

Jane Y. September 20, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I think your boys will totally appreciate it. My mother in law didn’t exactly do a project life :) but she kept all these photos and little notes and just random things (her husband’s english test where he got a 100 – he was learning english at the time, and all my husband’s silly awards he received in elementary school). when she passed away, we found the box where she kept all these and sat around for hours hearing stories behind all the pictures and notes. i took the ones of my husband and i have it in my own little box now. i hope too, when i have a little one, to document something like this and to share with them when they are older.

Pink Ronnie September 20, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Jane, that must’ve been so precious to go through all the things that your mother-in-law kept and to listen to all those stories of old. Please pass on my love and regards to your husband and his family.

juni September 20, 2013 at 6:14 pm

these look absolutely lovely! I have a lot of respect and admiration for you for all the hard work you put into these albums… your husband is so sweet and I believe he’s right, your boys will love these when they are older :)

Christina September 21, 2013 at 9:46 am

YES they will appreciate it!! Let me tell you how I know. When my 3 girls married and left home I gave them each their albums that I had for them (I didn’t scrap then) but every time I had a film developed, I would have 4 prints of each developed. One foe each of their albums and one for my album. Each of their husbands said the same thing “I wish my mum had done that for me”. The boys don’t have any childhood photos of their own.

Go forward to one day last week. My youngest daughter, 30 years old, was looking through my PL album where I still try to add a little story about each of them. I said to her “your Dad said that when I am no longer here you will all just forget about all my hard work and not want my albums”. She looked at me in horror and said “oh mum don’t ever think that!! On the contrary we will all fight over them”.

These words have inspired me to continue on to tell our family story. So Ronnie when you need some inspiration to continue on (and I know how hard it is to do with such a young family) remember my story as I’m sure your boys will think the same as my girls do…… One day they will thank you.

Pink Ronnie September 21, 2013 at 9:50 am

Christina,
Your words have sent me into a flood of tears…
Thank you SO much for sharing this. I appreciate it more than you will ever know.