Documenting the hour, 7am

{ A collaboration with Liz Tamanaha }

The idea for this series started perhaps a few months ago when I realised that I mostly took photos at certain times of the day – that is, times of the day when I had time to ‘spare.’ Unfortunately, this meant that large portions of each day were actually going undocumented. For example, up until a couple of months ago, I almost never took photos early in the morning because there were always too many things to do in those first few hours of the day. Yet, our morning routine is such a big part of our everyday life – our daily rituals may not be ‘exciting’ as such, but they form such a big part of our story as a family.

And then it hit me – what if I just focused on documenting one hour of the day each week? Not only would this ‘lighten the load’ and thus make it do-able, but it would also give me some framework for chasing and capturing light at different times of the day. I wasted no time in asking Liz from Paislee Press to embark on this little project with me. We’re big fans of each other’s photography and memory-keeping styles (probably because we’re both minimalists at heart) and I know that her ‘one little word’ for 2013 is light. Plus, Liz and I live at opposite ends of the world, so while I document the winter light here in Sydney, Liz will document the summer light over in Los Angeles. What could be more fun and perfect?

The seventh hour.

This is usually when the boys wake up and come into our room to use our ensuite. Once they’re done, I stumble out of bed to usher them back to their room and to help them put their dressing gowns on so they can stay warm. I remind them to try and stay quiet, and then I sneak back into bed to steal another half an hour of warmth under the doona before Edward starts to cry. Inevitably, one of the big boys will always come back into our room during this time, usually with a sad face because one of the others isn’t sharing a toy or book or something similarly worthy of waking up mummy for. Rick generally keeps his eyes closed throughout all this, not because he is an idle father but because he has actually been up in the middle of the night (or very, very early in the morning) giving Edward his bottle. (My husband rocks.)

The light is dark, moody and wintry during the seventh hour. It feels like grey light, yet it is tinged with shades of blue. It is light that compels me to climb back into bed because it doesn’t yet seem like light…

And now, over to Liz’s post to see how she captured the seventh hour.

Kathy July 8, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I love these little photo focused projects that are do-able….and to have Liz do it along with you is more incentive. When I did Project 365 in 2009 I had one friend do it with me and it’s nice to share photos, ideas and keep you on track. I look forward to more of your posts on this little project. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

Rachel Del grosso July 8, 2013 at 11:59 pm

This is great Ronnie. Saw Liz’s too. So great.

Beth July 9, 2013 at 12:59 am

I love this!

liz July 9, 2013 at 2:59 am

Your series of photos are absolutely amazing. I love the tones and your play on light and shadow – “Moody” is such a great way to describe it. It is in large part due to your photos that I’ve started to embrace the darkness (instead of blowing out every single photo) – the shadows and absence of light is such an important part of the portrait too. I can’t even begin to pick a favorite – each one holds a story, you have such an amazing way of capturing the little details. Looking forward to documenting the 8th hour with you.

Pink Ronnie July 9, 2013 at 12:11 pm

You are too kind, Liz. As you already know, I am so stoked to be doing this with you.

Marie July 9, 2013 at 6:46 am

I’m a huge fan of both of you! Totally love this project, and if it’s OK, I will also embark and try to document “my” and “our” hours here, in my little family. Thank you so much for this wonderful idea! Marie xoxo

Pink Ronnie July 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Please do, Marie.

Corina Nika July 9, 2013 at 8:42 am

You are such a great inspiration Rhonda!
I’ve been following you for over a year now on Instagram, and i just discovered your blog from Trina, form of trees and hues (Latrina).

You have simply a lovely blog, full of small and wonderful things and memories.
Once again, so happy to have found you!

Corina

Pink Ronnie July 9, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Hi Corina,
I am so touched that you visited here. Thank you also for your sweet words. You are so very kind…

Sabine July 9, 2013 at 8:54 am

Love your minimalistic photostyle and this photo project is inspirational. Especially because you sit on opposite sites of the world. Looking forward to see more beautiful photos of this project. And like Marie, would really like to join you guys. Sabine

Pink Ronnie July 9, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Hi Sabine,
Thanks so much for visiting here. It’s so lovely to have you. Thank you for your kind words too!

Emmie July 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm

What a fantastic idea.. I love it!

It’s been a whie since I’ve visited here but have more time on my hands lately and looking forward to seeing more pics in this project.

Truly gorgeous photos as always

Xx

Pink Ronnie July 9, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Welcome back Emmie! Congratulations on your baby boy – how lovely that he and Edward are the same age!

Catherine July 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm

What a great concept, Ronnie! I’m totally inspired to try this as well. Thank you for sharing. Your photos, your family and your story brighten my day! Saw Liz’s as well. Simply beautiful.

Pink Ronnie July 9, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Thanks for visiting here Catherine – it’s a pleasure to have you. Thank you for your kind words too.

rachel July 9, 2013 at 7:56 pm

you are endlessly inspiring- you always find a new way to capture the small and simple, the often neglected. this is one of my favorite projects.

Manda July 9, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Love this collab you guys are doing. Wonderful idea.

Casey July 11, 2013 at 12:59 am

What a fabulous idea. I love it. I’m usually bad at taking photos in the morning because it’s cold and the sun is usually not up. But you are so right, it’s such an important part of our story as it tells the routine of how our day starts. Definitely going to pick a day to have a go at capturing the morning when work goes back.

Thanks for the inspiration :)

gaby July 11, 2013 at 8:50 am

does your husband give edward a bottle every night? does that mean you sleep through the night every night? can you tell i’m jealous? ;) x

Pink Ronnie July 19, 2013 at 10:42 am

Yes he does. He is seriously pretty awesome.

Kirsten July 12, 2013 at 1:02 am

This is a beautiful idea. I’m borrowing it! I enjoy your approach to memory keeping and your aesthetic. I tried the new vscocam on your recommendation too and I’m loving it.

Pink Ronnie July 13, 2013 at 1:28 am

Go right ahead! Thanks for visiting here and for your lovely, kind words Kirsten.