“Now all your children have colds.”

It is Sunday morning. Angus and Pete have finished their breakfast. I am still feeding Jamie, who’s in his high chair.

Me: “Do you know where daddy is?”
Jamie: “Church!”
Me: “What is daddy doing?”
Jamie: “Reading!”
Me: “What is he reading?”
Pause.
Jamie: “Bible!”

It is Tuesday. Nan is at our place, folding paper with Angus in my office.

Angus: “I always fold because this is a neat family. Nan, is your family a neat family?”

It is Wednesday morning. I come downstairs for breakfast, to find that Jamie has a runny nose as well.

Angus: “Now all your children have colds.”

It is dinnertime. I am, as usual, woeful at keeping my own clothes clean while I eat.

Pete: “What’s that?”
Me: “I got my top dirty.”
Pete: “You need bib!”
Rick: “Yes she does…”

It is Saturday morning. I am at home with the boys, who are jumping around, pretending to be animals.

Angus: “I am a penguin, and I am allergic to cows.”

Later on that same morning…

Pete: “Mummy, come to my shop!”
Me: “What do you sell?”
Pete: “Monkey, giraffe and elephant!”
Me: “I’ll have a monkey please.”
Pete: “Okay. Here you go.” (He hands me a pretend monkey.)

I turn around to buy ice-cream from Angus’ shop. I can hear Pete and Jamie talking in the background. Upon turning back to Pete’s shop:

Me: “Can I buy a giraffe now?”
Pete: “No, all gone. Jamie eat it.”
Me: “Oh. What is left then?”
Pete: “Elephant!”
Mummy: “Okay, how much is that?”
Pete: “Two dollars.”

It is early in the evening. We have just come home from running errands, and the boys are getting seated around the table for dinner. I open the ‘inflatable cushion’ that I have just purchased for ‘postpartum care.’

Angus: “Look Pete, your booster seat has arrived!”

And one night, as I’m changing Jamie on his change table, at the tender age of twenty-three months, the inevitable happened.

Jamie: “Why? Mummy, why?”

You can read more of our conversations here.

rachel March 26, 2013 at 11:17 am

you are going to be so glad to have recorded all of these bits of amazingness. your boys are full of so much humor and sweet insight.

Jillian March 26, 2013 at 11:38 am

Adorable. Your kids are so sharp!

Marie March 26, 2013 at 1:13 pm

These bits of conversation you’re recording are such wonderful memories!!! Your boys are awesome! Marie xoxo

Chloe Moon March 26, 2013 at 1:57 pm

“I am a penguin, I’m allergic to cows”. Priceless. These lil snippets are priceless & amazing! =)

Pink Ronnie March 26, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I know – that one was hilarious. I have no idea where it came from…

Sarah Ann Noel March 26, 2013 at 3:03 pm

They are really the cutest. But all sick kids! Oh! No fun!

Marcia Francois March 26, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Ronnie, your kids are adorable! I love child conversations :)

PS I really must get better about writing these down too!

SusanC March 26, 2013 at 11:17 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE! What’s your methodology for keeping these things? Do you put them in Simplenote? I just know that with the sieve that my pregnant brain is right now, I would never remember to write down these precious moments.

Pink Ronnie March 27, 2013 at 12:34 am

Hi Susan,
Thanks! Yes, I just use Simplenote. I try to type it down sometimes as soon as they say things, or I try to do it at the end of the day on my MacBook Air in bed…. (but I’m getting lazier and lazier with the latter.)

Pink Ronnie March 27, 2013 at 10:14 am

I should also mention I keep separate ‘notes’ in Simplenote for each child, and I simply list their quotes chronologically. The simpler you keep it, the easier it is to update!

SusanC March 27, 2013 at 5:55 pm

LOVE that idea (of keeping them separate for each kid)! :) I’m on an Android, so there’s no Simplenote app (still waiting!), so I’ve been using Cozi for day-to-day list-keeping/note-taking, but been really bad about using it to its full capabilities (mostly just have shopping lists on there). You’ve inspired me with this. They’ll be such precious memories for them (and their spouses) when they are older! xoxo

Latrina March 27, 2013 at 1:19 am

I really love that you keep track + write down some of the funny little things your boys say throughout the day… so precious! And definitely something to look back on for years + years to come. <3

Those boys are truly something else!

Jess March 27, 2013 at 6:48 am

You could make a book out of these! I showed them to my husband and he laughed – trying to get three kids out of him so keep them coming Ronnie!

Pink Ronnie March 27, 2013 at 10:15 am

LOL Jess – whatever I can do to help…

Sonya March 27, 2013 at 7:18 am

I can’t tell you how much I love this series! Makes me smile every single time. Your boys sound so adorable.

Ritz March 27, 2013 at 11:52 am

Ronnie, these conversations are priceless! So glad and amazed you recording them! I am still grinning after reading these…thank you so much for sharing these special moments :) xo

Jane Y. March 27, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I love these conversations! So so precious & always makes me smile!

rachel swartley March 28, 2013 at 5:01 pm

“Now all your children have colds” is hilarious!! Thanks for sharing these fun snippets of conversation with us.

Charlotte March 28, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I used to play store with my students. I love listening to what they have for sale and how much it is. I’ve gotten rocket ships, golden video game systems and exotic animals, all for the low, low price of a dollar!

cinback April 3, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Just priceless…

debie grace April 13, 2013 at 11:20 am

These boys are so cute! *Sometimes when I read stuff like this in your blog, I secretly want to be a mom* Haha!