The heart of our home (a room tour)

This evening while Rick was putting the boys in the bath, the light in our meals room was rather beautiful, so I picked up the camera, snapped some photos and decided I would share another room tour here on the blog – something I haven’t done in a while.

This is where we eat. Every day. Three times a day. Or more if you count morning teas and afternoon teas. It is definitely the heart of our home. Not only is it the physical centre of our home, it’s where we spend most of our time as a family. If we’re fortunate enough to still be here in ten years’ time, I can see this being the place where we all gather every night to share our day with each other. What a wonderful blessing that would be!

It’s a lovely room that gets a vast amount of sun throughout the day. In the summertime, we have to keep the blinds closed in the mornings otherwise our Jamie will tell us very clearly: “Sun in my eyes.” (He makes me smile so much, that little guy.) He and Pete sit in two high chairs on the window side, while Angus sits on a booster seat on the other side of the table. I have another booster seat on order (I love these Mutsy ones) and when it does, Pete shall be ‘promoted’ to the other side, thus making room for our Edward down the track. The high chairs that we’ve sworn by since Angus was old enough to sit in one are the IKEA Antilops. They are cheap, safe, easy to clean, white (very important) and even stackable! We also love our fruit, and this bowl of fruit adds a bright splash of colour to the room. As much as I love the idea of flowers to decorate a room, it’s simply not cost effective for us to do so, and this way, we don’t need to find another place for our fruit…

We bought these replica Eames chairs when we moved into our last home, and they go so beautifully here as well. Naturally, I love that they’re white but it’s their design that won me over in the first place. Three years on, and I’m still a big fan of those legs! The table was a cheap find on eBay. We originally had plans of painting the legs a solid white, but I’ve gotten quite used to their distressed look now and don’t think it would be worth the trouble anymore. We also had a white IKEA Erslev rug under the table for most of last year, but about one or two months ago, I asked Rick to get rid of it because it was pretty far from being white and I realised how impractical it was to have to worry about the boys spilling food and drink at the meals table. This way, they can make as much mess as they want and so can our guests!

I call this chair the red lip chair because, well, it reminds me of lips. Red lips. it was another bargain find on eBay. I initially wanted to put this in our lounge room, but on the first day we moved in, Rick put this chair here so that I had somewhere to sit while I directed the removalists and here it’s stayed since. Who knew my husband would have such an eye for interiors? The deer cushion was from Etsy.

Right next to the meals room is the kitchen and it also opens into our family room. Together, we spend almost all our day in these three rooms alone. It’s pretty cool that the ‘french’ market bag which Rick bought me ties in with the ‘french’ scroll artwork (as well as the legs of the table!). Completely accidental, I must admit, but it’s a nice touch all the same. I honestly love this space and feel so blessed that we get to live here.

Originally, I was going to design something myself for this space, but then I saw this online and decided to just buy it instead! (I’m all for outsourcing if it makes life a tad easier, especially when you’re trying to set up a new home with three kids under three.) I liked that it was actually a scroll rather than a canvas, and that it had a slightly distressed look that wasn’t overly fake. To stop the metal parts from scratching the wall, WE simply added some Blu Tack on the back to provide a small buffer.

And there you have it. The heart of our home. It’s simple. Neutral. Uncluttered.

Perfect for us.

You can see my other room tours here.

Natalie January 25, 2013 at 12:32 pm

LOVE.. the white chairs are beautiful. I am currently de cluttering….it is never ending, but feels wonderful. Thanks for sharing your space x

Amanda January 25, 2013 at 1:14 pm

I loved seeing a sneak peek into your home Ronnie, it’s lovely, light-filled, spacious and welcoming. We too spend the majority of our days in our family/meals/kitchen area :) I love your kitchen table, I’m searching for a similar style timber one on Gumtree at the moment which I’d like to put some white Bentwood chairs around.

Have a lovely weeekend x

Pink Ronnie January 28, 2013 at 8:47 am

White Bentwood chairs would be divine…

Jane January 25, 2013 at 1:58 pm

It’s prefect, Ronnie. Love the space! I love your table too. We we buy a home for ourselves, we want to buy a nice eating table. I’m keeping my eyes peeled now for one :) Have a good weekend!

Niru January 25, 2013 at 2:48 pm

looks exceptionally beautiful, ronnie.
i love that it’s neutrals, simple yet inviting and how each corner is charming in its own essence and still unites to become the room it is.

Sally January 25, 2013 at 4:03 pm

This is such a beautiful space, I love how all the different areas are so nicely connected. And really love your red chair! Beautiful photos too!

Pink Ronnie January 25, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Thank you Sally for your kind words! It’s lovely to have you here.

Jo January 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm

I love it. It’s so simple, so ideal, and so minimalist. It’s not too over and I love white and brown together. It feels like you’ve put an interior designer together with a splendid photographer. Your house is cosy and lovely, ahhhhh.

Pink Ronnie January 25, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Aw, thanks Jo. White and brown really do go quite nicely together. We’re very blessed to live here. Thanks so much for stopping by and reading!

Shoko January 25, 2013 at 6:28 pm

how lovely! it looks like such a bright, beautiful, calming room. i think it’s so important that family meals take place in a happy space!

MarieD January 25, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I love seeing the way you decorated this central room of your house. It’s so good looking and nice ! I love the fact that there’s not too much and it’s well balanced…
Have a great weekend,
Marie, a reader from France

Pink Ronnie January 25, 2013 at 9:30 pm

A reader from France! Welcome Marie – how wonderful to have you here reading at my little corner.

Za January 26, 2013 at 1:36 am

Lovely home, Ronnie.

Life with Kaishon January 26, 2013 at 2:12 am

What a beautiful kitchen : ). I love your red lip chair and the antelope pillows. Fabulous.

Kate January 26, 2013 at 3:59 am

SO amazing, Ronnie! I love all of it. You all have some serious good taste!! xx

aliceinbo January 26, 2013 at 8:47 pm

All of you are adorable!

aliceinbo2.blogspot.com

stephanie January 27, 2013 at 2:53 am

your home is so neat and tidy! TFS.

Latrina January 27, 2013 at 5:40 pm

Ronnie, your home is so beautiful. I really enjoy these room tours!

Your meal area is so clean, uncluttered and inviting. I love how bright & cozy it seems. Growing up, my family’s home had two rooms for eating (one for breakfast and the other for dinner) and even still… we almost always ate in other rooms. Usually around the tv in the living area. Except on holidays — my entire family would bring all the spare chairs into one room, wrapped around the kitchen table, and we would sit for hours… chatting & catching up. I love those moments. I can just imagine that’s how every meal is in your home. So wonderful!

Pink Ronnie January 28, 2013 at 8:49 am

Actually, for now, most dinner meals are rather stressful as we try to encourage (often coerce) the boys to all eat their food. :) But hopefully down the track, when they’re hungry boys and won’t need any ‘encouragement,’ we’ll have those delightful family conversations!

rooth January 28, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Your home is so bright and airy – and you couldn’t tell that you have three little boys living there. It’s so clean!

Claire @ Jemima Longstocking January 29, 2013 at 4:06 am

What a lovely, light-filled space Ronnie. I think it helps to have a homely feel in the dining/kitchen area when trying to entice little boys to eat and you’ve created just that right here. x

Debie Grace January 30, 2013 at 11:34 am

Ronnie, your kitchen looks very nice. I love how calm the colors are. I love it :)

Yin January 30, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Hi Ronnie, your home is so lovely and full of grace and style! Yet welcoming and easy for toddlers and parents alike, how do you do it? May I know what type or brand of blind you have in the meals room? Its interesting- looking to me :)

Pink Ronnie February 1, 2013 at 7:35 am

Hi Yin,
The blinds came with the house – I think they’re just stock standard vertical blinds. Very common here in Australia.

liz February 1, 2013 at 6:25 am

*sigh* your home is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. every little corner is perfect. Thanks for the peek into your lovely home. I adore your design aesthetics. Now can you come over and help us with our home? :)