Project Life, Weeks 48 to 50

Those of you who follow me on Instagram and Facebook will know that I’ve finished our 2011 Project Life album! I could not be more relieved and satisfied. It was indeed a huge (mammoth, really) effort, but it was totally worth it. I now have the entire year documented and presented in two binder’s worth of photos, ready for family and friends to flip through and enjoy. It was such a joy to go through all those photos and re-live some of the tender moments and the highlights from that year. For those of you who have been wondering and asking – yes, it is absolutely possible to use the Project Life system to catch up on past years. And yes, I will share my process here soon, in case you’re looking for some inspiration and guidance. But for now, here are the layouts for Weeks 48 to 50 of 2012. Remember you can click on each photo for a larger image…

Week 48 was when we discovered a new Thai restaurant to go to for our Thursday night family dinners. The gold leaf wall decor was pretty impressive, as was the food. I’m so glad I reached for my phone camera during the dinner, because that was the evening that Jamie decided to bust our some groovy dance moves when he heard the music come on. Seriously, at one point, he was holding his cup in the air above his head and bopping in time to the beat. I laughed so hard my pad see ew almost got stuck in my throat. Even though I didn’t actually capture that moment itself (mainly because I didn’t want to risk missing a second of seeing my little guy dance like he was made for dancing), these other photos serve as a lovely reminder of the occasion. That’s the beauty of photography and documenting life - sometimes you just need to capture a certain aspect of a particular time and it can trigger all the other associated memories. I simply love that about memory keeping.

On the right hand page are some lovely photos from our picnic dinner down at the beach that week, along with an amazing sunset that we saw later that evening as we drove through the national park nearby. I really love that photo of the boys in the top right – it captures a lot of what they’re like when they see other people: they will always hang back and watch, observing with the utmost curiosity and no partiality. There’s an innocence there that I treasure and cherish.

More sweet photos of the boys for Week 49: Jamie becoming the drummer that he was born to be; Angus’ rock star hair, and the three of them having a bit of a laugh in the bath. Fun times.

There is actually a proper photo of me on this page! (Pat self on back.) Rick captured it on our SLR during dinner one evening. There’s nothing particularly special about it – it simply captures me during mealtime, having a cup of tea as I watch the boys’ numerous antics. I like it because it’s exactly that: just a normal shot of me being me. I also love the photos I snapped when I was lying in bed one afternoon having a nap. It’s simple moments like that that make the every day special and worth celebrating.

Lots of photos of the gardenia magnifica from a funeral at our church that week. It’s amazing how such beauty can be so poignant. Looking at these photos now reminds me of the sadness of that week, when I learnt that my friend’s father had died. Yes, life is transient but memories endure forever.

That strip of photos in the middle makes me smile big time. it’s such a reflection of what the boys are like during bedtime. As you can see, they’re each holding blocks in their hands because that’s all we have in the bedroom upstairs – with Jamie ducking out of the photos at one point, most likely to swap his for a different colour. It’s all about those blocks at bedtime here at Casa Mason.

Next week, I’ll do my best to post about Weeks 51 and 52, as well as my end page for 2012. Exciting, no?

You can read my other Project Life posts here.

Materials used: Becky Higgins Design A page protector; Kodak 210gsm glossy premium photo paper. All photos printed on the Canon MP630 Pixma.

Meg January 24, 2013 at 11:53 am

W0w. How awesome that you’ve finished!!!

Life with Kaishon January 24, 2013 at 11:57 am

Good for you, Ronnie!
Happy photo organizing.

eskimo*rose January 24, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Gosh, I’m so impressed Ronnie … and envious, I still haven’t dared to venture into my photo backlog – its so ridiculous taking all these beautiful photos an never doing anything with them … the problem is I’m too busy sorting out everyone else’s photos! I love the tones you create in your images, I have been meaning to ask for ages – do you take most of your pics on your phone and process on Instagram? Or are they more generally taken with a proper camera and edited on Photoshop or similar? Would love to know … hope you are all well xx

Pink Ronnie January 24, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Hi Emma!
All the photos you see here were taking on my iPhone and mostly processed with the VSCOCam app. I recently also purchased their VSCO Film presets for Aperture and am starting to process some photos with that on the computer as well (as it’s a lot faster than the phone app). Hope that helps – let me know if you have any other questions. Lovely to here from you! I need to drop by your blog soon.

Chloe Moon January 24, 2013 at 4:01 pm

I just seeing these project life pages! They are just so beautiful! =)

ChrisyC January 24, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Just lovely Ronnie. Love the photo of you :)

Casey January 24, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Love your project life pages Ronnie. The simplicity and cohesive look you manage to achieve week in and out is awesome! very interested to hear you approach to going back to project life old years, as I am considering going back and having a go at 2011 and maybe some childhood/school albums. Love following your album :)

Pink Ronnie January 25, 2013 at 6:08 am

Thanks so much Casey, so happy you stopped by here. Really appreciate your kind words and I think it would be a wonderful idea to use PL to catch up on childhood/school albums! Actually, I’ve got some Childhood mini kits to give away soon, so I’ll keep you posted. :)

libbywilko January 24, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Love seeing your weeks… Although they make me homesick for the Northern Beaches…. as we live in Brisbane now.

Debie Grace January 25, 2013 at 2:12 am

This is awesome, Ronnie. I wish I could do this too. It’s just difficult for now to make an album and take photos and put them in the album every week. Keep inspiring me more! I wanna do it next year hahaha :P

kelly January 25, 2013 at 6:25 am

your project life is amazing! just gorgeous. can’t wait to see more.

happy new year!

Pink Ronnie January 25, 2013 at 9:46 am

Wow Kelly, that means so much coming from you! Thanks heaps for stopping by and for such encouraging words. I love what you’re doing this year for Project Life – such an awesome idea!

Mary January 25, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Linked over to you from Becky’s blog and have had such fun getting caught up with your previous posts. Such gorgeous spreads each week!

How will you handle the rounded edges from the Seafoam kit vs. your square style? I am taking the PL plunge for the first time in 2013 and have Seafoam as well – so awesome(!) and am absolutely dying for Midnight for 2014.

Do you have a standard “recipe” you typically use in the VSCOcam app? Thank you for all of the great tips – excited to see more of your work in 2013!

Pink Ronnie January 29, 2013 at 3:28 am

Hi Mary!

So wonderful to have you here. Thanks for reading and for your kind words.

I have a confession to make – I tried using the Seafoam 3×4 cards with my boys’ albums but I couldn’t get around the round edges (excuse the pun). They really did stand out seeing as nothing else in my layouts have round edges. I ended up creating my own filler cards which included some journalling, which I really liked. So for now, I dont actually know how or I will end up using any kit cards after all. If/when I do, you’ll be sure to read about it on the blog!

With VSCOCam, I almost always use filter 05 or filter 07. That’s as simple as it gets!

Latrina January 27, 2013 at 5:45 pm

SOO much goodness here, Ronnie! Wow. I am such an admirer of your project life spreads.

I use to design wedding albums and every time I read these posts of yours, I start to miss it — the designing ,the editing and seeing the final product. I am in the process of creating an album for 2012 and I am REALLY eager to hear your process of documenting a past year — it’s been kind of hard because I am terrified that focusing on a past year… that I will miss a lot this year. Silly, right?

Pink Ronnie January 29, 2013 at 3:33 am

No, not silly at all. I do understand. The way I approach past years is to treat them as ‘projects’ while I continue to document the present on a regular, normal basis. That way, catching up on the past doesn’t interrupt recording the present.