Moments in blue

In my Project Life post earlier this week, I talked about trying to focus on capturing moments rather than subject matter. A number of you responded specifically to this, so I thought it might be worthwhile to do a mini series to help illustrate what I mean. These are moments that I’ve captured in the past, and whenever I look at each of these shots, I can perfectly recollect the emotions and circumstances encapsulating that moment. Like I always say, the power of our images should never be under-estimated – even when they’re simply snapshots caught on our camera phones (like these ones).

“Every photo has the potential to tell a story – if not to anyone else, at least to you.”

Moments in blue, clockwise from the top: The day I found out a family friend had suddenly, unexpectedly, become critically ill // the two older boys intrigued by their shadows as they wait impatiently for daddy to return from an overnight conference // my biggest and my littlest, on the day of my thirty-first birthday // the view as I left the hospital, my heart heavy with sadness as I’d just watched my family friend die…

You can read all the posts from this mini series here.

Petra January 12, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Beautiful Ronnie,
Moments are often so difficult to capture but you have done it beautifully.

Pink Ronnie January 13, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Thank you Petra.

Kate January 12, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Such a great idea, per usual! I love that you went with a color theme this week, too… I agree with Petra – moments are difficult to capture. It’s easy when you’ve composed a portrait, but remembering moments the way you see them (and as they’re happening) takes true talent.

Pink Ronnie January 13, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I love colour themes. :) Thanks for your sweet, lovely words, as always Kate.

Betty January 12, 2013 at 3:10 pm

It’s these moments that really bring out the story, the feelings, absolutely Ronnie.

Pink Ronnie January 13, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Thanks for your kind words, Betty, and for visiting here.

lauragofton January 12, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Lovely idea, words and images Ronnie. Moments capturing happiness, sadness and life in all it’s wonderful complexity (and simplicity).

I’m sorry about your family friend.

x Laura

Pink Ronnie January 13, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Thank you Laura. It was in 2011… incredibly sad for her family.

Latrina January 13, 2013 at 4:55 am

Capturing moments is one of the most beautiful gifts us photographers have. I truly believe so. Writers, too, really.

What I love most about this little series of yours… is that from looking at those photos (beautiful as they are) WE (your readers) aren’t quite aware exactly what moment you were capturing… it could be something completely different from what we are imagining… but for YOU.. it’s something quite unique & special. <3

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, Ronnie. My heart goes out to you and their family!

Pink Ronnie January 13, 2013 at 10:38 pm

Thanks Trina. Totally devastating for her family.
And absolutely – I just love how photos can capture so much memory and emotion for each of us.

erica @ expatria, baby January 13, 2013 at 10:58 am

So sorry to hear about your friend. What a rotten thing. But what beauty in the fact that you could be by her side.

Pink Ronnie January 13, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Thank you Erica, appreciate your kind words.

Linda January 14, 2013 at 5:03 am

This is lovely Ronnie, your images beautifully capture those moments and your words always enrich and inspire. Love your project and how much you invest into it, its simply intoxicating! Thanks for sharing snippets of your beautiful life with us : )