Project Life, Weeks 40 to 42, and some super exciting news!

No, I’m not having twins (thought that would’ve been awesome too). Instead, I’m stoked to finally be able to share the news that I’m part of Becky Higgins’s 2013 Creative Team for Project Life! I can still hardly believe it myself…

This all began about a month and a half ago on a Friday morning when I staggered downstairs in my semi sleep-deprived state to turn on Play School for the boys. Naturally, I decided to flick on my emails as well, and oh my goodness, there was an email from Becky Higgins. Becky Higgins!? I was almost certain I was dreaming at this point. In her lovely email, Becky explained that she’d noticed my Project Life layouts on Instagram and wanted to invite me to submit for the 2013 Creative Team. I’m quite sure I was squealing at some high-pitched frequency at this point, and no doubt the boys thought their mummy was being “a bit funny.” The amazing thing is that I did not wake up Rick straight away to share my over-the-top excitement (since my dear husband only ever gets to sleep in once in a blue moon), but later, I did make a point of comparing it to him receiving an email from the mastermind behind Land Rover (whoever that may be), inviting him to apply to join their design team – or something like that. He got the idea.

Two weeks later, I sent in my sample layouts and another two weeks later (with many sleepless nights in between, I must admit), Becky emailed me again (I don’t think I will ever tire of seeing Becky’s name in my inbox) to let me know that I was successful in becoming part of the new Creative Team! Wow. Wow!!! (Thankfully, Rick by this point had gotten used to my squeals.) The new team would be made of twenty-four women, Becky said, because they’d received so many awesome applications that they couldn’t narrow it down any further. I spent the next week writing up my profile and my lovely friend Alana from Little Rock Photography took some head shots for me. She wanted teeth – so she got teeth. (I am not such a fan myself, but apparently I look more natural when I show my teeth, so there you go.)

None of us knew who the other team members were, as we were going to find out along with the rest of the world in the big reveal that happened this morning. I would not be lying if I told you that Becky made several appearances in my dreams last night. Then this morning, as soon as I woke up, I grabbed my phone (while Rick went off to settle Jamie, bless my dear husband) and logged in to see all the wonderful emails from Becky, Kari (Becky’s amazing marketing director) and all the other women on the team. Finally, the secret was out and we knew who each other were! Needless to say, I feel extremely honoured to be part of this talented group of ladies. I’m a big fan of some of their work, and it was Elise herself who inspired me to jump into Project Life this year!

For those of you Project Lifers here for the first time, welcome! It is truly lovely to have you here. I only began Project Life myself in May this year, but I love it and am totally convinced it’s the best method of memory-keeping out there.

My style is very simplistic and minimalist. I like to let my photos do the story-telling, and I only add words when I think it is necessary. Never under-estimate the power of the photos that you take. I add text and simple graphic embellishments using Adobe InDesign, and I take almost all my Project Life photos on my iPhone. I print my photos at home using a Canon Pixma MP630, which I can highly recommend. I primarily use the Design A pocket pages, but sometimes I’ll add a 6×12 insert or an 8×8 insert – I tend to use the former when I want to include a blog post that I’ve written and the latter for birthday parties.

In terms of the Project Life albums that I keep, I document our family life on a weekly basis in the ‘main album,’ and I also keep a separate Project Life album for each of our boys, which are updated once a month. I have yet to show any of the boys’ albums on the blog, but I plan to start doing this in the new year. It is just such a wonderful way of keeping a record of their young lives. So far, I have not really used any core kit elements in my albums, but next year, I plan on trying to incorporate some of the cards from the Seafoam kit into the children’s albums.

I can honestly say that I love looking through our 2012 Project Life album, and I can’t wait to start building a new one in 2013. This year has been a wonderful one for us in so many ways, and I’m so thankful to have been able to document it using Becky’s amazing scrapbooking system. What a genius she is. Thank you again to her and Kari for including me as part of the Creative Team for 2013, and I look forward to sharing this next part of my Project Life journey with all of you.

You can read my other Project Life posts here.

Materials used: Becky Higgins Design A page protector; Kodak 170gsm glossy photo paper. All photos printed on the Canon MP630 Pixma.

(Linking up with The Mom Creative.)

Life with Kaishon December 18, 2012 at 4:49 am

I don’t even know who she is, but if you are this excited, I know it must be someone grand! Congratulations for your wonderful new role. I am so happy for you.

Latrina December 18, 2012 at 5:11 am

Oh my gosh! What exciting news. :) And doesn’t surprise me ONE bit that she wanted you to be a part of her Creative Team! It’s no secret your Project Life layouts are absolutely gorgeous. <3

What a sweet little holiday gift, I bet! Congratulations. :D

Fiona December 18, 2012 at 5:16 am

Congratulations, Ronnie! Such awesome news! I was not at all surprised to see your lovely face on the team for next year. You are so talented and your pages rock. Thanks for being an inspiration for me in my PL process in 2012, and I look forward to seeing your work in 2013. Hugs, Fiona xoxo

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Thanks so much Fi – that means a lot to me. I’m so thankful we met earlier this year because of PL!

trishie December 18, 2012 at 5:35 am

That’s such awesome news, Ronnie! Congrats on making the creative team. I also love that photo of you. You do look more natural with teeth showing, and gorgeous too!

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm

You’re sweet to say that Trishie – I’m still not completely convinced but it’s out there now… too late to take it back. :)

Denise December 18, 2012 at 5:39 am

So glad that someone from the Mom Creative gals made it!!! Congrats and I look forward to seeing more of your pages this upcoming year!

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Thanks Denise, and thanks for stopping by too!

Alison December 18, 2012 at 7:06 am

Congratulations, Ronnie! I just discovered you via Becky’s site, cool huh :) I’m excited there are a couple of Aussies on board…will be great to hear from you about products we can get in Aus and from an Aussie’s perspective. For example, I have bought a heap of PL stuff and yet only stopped and started at it as it seems overwhelming…so I am encouraged to get back into it seeing your approach which seems more achievable for me. One major hurdle I have identified for me is the photo printing. I wait to print til I can get to a lab, then get too behind. So I have been investigating home printers. Excited to see you print at home. My big concern with this is cost of ink and paper…does it work out super expensive? Do you have any advice re good brands ,or things to avoid? Was also concerned about photo quality with home prints as I read somewhere they can fade. Obviously don’t want to do heaps of work and then lose them to fading! So yeah…encouraged you find it a good way forward. Happy celebrating your achievement . God bless.

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Hi Alison,
Thanks so much for your sweet words! Petra and I are both very excited to be on the CT too. It was simply amazing to receive that email from Becky (she’d titled it ‘happy mail’ and indeed it was!). I agree when you try to start with all the PL stuff in front of you, it can feel quite overwhelming. I think the best thing to do is to actually start with your photos – select your favourite ones for a week and then start slipping them into the PG page pockets and go from there. Your instincts will start guiding you as to what papers to use, what words to write, what embellishments to add if that’s what you like. In terms of printing on the Canon Pixma, I have been super happy with the quality of the photos (so much so that one time, I tried printing at Officeworks but ended up doing it all again on the Pixma because the photos were so much nicer). I buy the Canon ChromaLife 100 inks which is the latest and best when it comes to fade resistance. (According to Canon, “Using Canon paper and ChromaLife100 inks results in prints with 100-year fade resistance when stored in an archival photo album.”) My advice would be to avoid inks which aren’t manufactured by the printer brands themselves (ie. stick to Canon, Epsom, HP, etc. ink cartridges) – even though those cartridges are cheaper, probably not as great for the photos in the long run. (Unfortunately, I bought two lots of said cartridges more than a year ago so perhaps a few of my old scrapbooks will fade earlier in the future, who knows.)
Hope that helps – happy for you to email me with any other questions!
p.s. Are you in Australia too?

Alison December 26, 2012 at 6:32 am

Thanks Ronnie, that’s very helpful. Trying to make a wise purchase of a printer now so I can start in January and be up to date at least with that album! :) Are you able to give some idea of cost involved with printing at home when you include inks and paper compared to in store? I really think I am more likely to keep up to date if I print from home but the inks sound expensive! Yes, I am an aussie :) Thanks again

Pink Ronnie January 15, 2013 at 1:10 am

Hi Alison,
I’ll try and do a bit more of cost analysis these next few months.

Za December 18, 2012 at 7:32 am

Oh my gosh! Such exciting news Ronnie!

Kirsty December 18, 2012 at 8:29 am

Big congratulations Ronnie! That is such exciting news for you.

Meg December 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

Congratulations! I can’t wait to see what your new layouts!

Laura O'Donnell December 18, 2012 at 10:16 am

congrats on making the team! love your style!

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Thank you Laura, and so lovely of you to stop by.

Carol Newall December 18, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hi Rhonda,

Congratualations! This sounds wonderful and it must be a great compliment to your creative skills. Your blog and the photos in it are gorgeous, so I’m not the least bit surprise that you are part of this creative team. Well done!

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Thanks Carol!!! Miss you girls, hope everyone is well…

eek! December 18, 2012 at 11:14 am

How exciting! Your pages are always such an inspiration to me – the focus is on the photos and there is always something unusual that catches my eye. Can’t wait to see what you do next year!
oxox

lamina @ do a bit December 18, 2012 at 11:50 am

WOW Congratulations!!! That is just fantastic news! I am sooo happy for you :)

Chantel December 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Congratulations Ronnie! I was waiting for this announcement cause I knew your beautiful PL would get noticed!!!

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Aw, thanks Chantel…! I’m so glad I met you in PL land.

Chloe Moon December 18, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Good for you!!! Omg what an honor to be selected!! I want to start a Project Life binder so bad but I just don’t have the time yet….I will DEFINITELY do one when I have my first child and or when I get engaged! =)

Ergo – Blog

Janelle December 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I am so loving your style, Rhonda, and I’m even more impressed that you have made it achievable! I love that you use your iPhone, I love that you use a home printer. And I love that you believe photos can ‘speak’. I’m really excited to watch and learn from you in 2013 (and I’ll buy a copy of that book you’re going to publish too x). Congratulations to Becky for selecting you :)

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Hi Janelle,
That is the sweetest. Keeping it simple is definitely my philosophy. Thank you so much for your kind words! Really appreciate it.

Johanna December 18, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Awesome news Ronnie! Congrats – you’re so gifted!

Jane December 18, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Really exciting! Congrats to you! I love your layouts and your tones in your pictures. They do tell a beautiful, fun story. So funny about showing teeth in your pictures. I used to always show teeth but as I got older for some reason I can’t show teeth anymore! I think I look awkward! ;)

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 9:54 pm

LOL Jane! I’m the opposite – I’ve relaxed a bit as I’ve gotten older… though I’m still not a huge fan of my teeth. :)

Sammy December 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm

this is such exciting news !!!
so happy for you! you’ll do great :D
always love looking through your posts!

rachel swartley December 18, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Good for you!! I’m planning to start Project Life in 2013, and I’m looking forward to discovering my own unique style. Thanks for the inspiration!

rooth December 18, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Congrats Miss Ronnie!! What an honor

Vicki December 18, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Congratulations! I was so excited when I saw your lovely face among the photos of this year’s team! Way to go!

Sue December 18, 2012 at 9:24 pm

SO excited you made the creative team!! I am sure your awesome photos are one of the reasons she picked you. Or it could be because your pages are so bright and fun! Can’t wait to see more of your stuff in 2013!

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Thanks so much Sue, and thanks also for stopping by to leave such a lovely comment!

Geraldine Tan December 18, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Congratulations ronnie. You deserve it – wonderful pictures, wonderful layouts and wonderful person :) x

Meg O December 19, 2012 at 1:43 am

That is thrilling news! Congratulations.
Well deserved. Your photos and design are just stunning.

Sheri December 19, 2012 at 2:32 am

Congrats! I am loving your photography and style! I can totally relate to the excitement of seeing Becky’s name in your inbox! I am still not use to it :) I wish you all the best as you start on this new adventure! You’ll have a blast! Can’t wait to see what you create!

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words Sheri, really appreciate it. Lovely of you to stop by the blog too.

Danya Banya December 19, 2012 at 4:22 am

Congratulations! Can’t wait to see…

Amanda December 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm

So excited and happy for you, Ronnie! I love your PL!

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 10:03 pm

You too Amanda! Excited to be on the team with you!!

Amanda December 19, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Congratulations – how exciting for you to be part of something so wonderful. I’m only a recent follower of your blog and keep meaning to go back and read your Project Life posts to see if this is something I’d like to attempt. I’ve tried scrapbooking before, but am not keen on overly embellished pages, preferring clean, simple ones that let the photos speak for themselves just as your lovely layouts do. I’m keen to read more about your boys’ albums as I think I’d like to try something like that…

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Welcome Amanda, and thanks for taking the time to leave your sweet message. I always love ‘meeting’ my readers. I will definitely post about the boys’ albums starting in the new year. I basically it keep it as simple as the main album, but with just added inserts for the stuff that I’ve journalled on the computer. Look forward to sharing it!

Cerise December 19, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Congratulations! You really deserve it. I’m always inspired by your gorgeous layouts.

Laura Gofton December 20, 2012 at 1:16 am

Oh wow, hugest of Congrats Ronnie! You are such a perfect pick for the PL creative team. Can’t wait to see the beautiful things you create in 2013.

x Laura

Stefani December 20, 2012 at 5:26 am

How exciting! Congratulations! I look forward to following your Project Life for 2013. :-)

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Thanks Stefani, and for stopping by too!

Real Natalie December 20, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I just clicked through and looked at the entire Creative Team. Hands down, you are my fav! Is there a way to subscribe to your blog so it lands in my inbox? Thanks!

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 10:58 pm

You are too kind Natalie! I’m still looking into email subscription, but for now, you can click on the RSS feed icon under the search bar at the top right of my blog (under my bio) – that should allow you to add it to your news reader. Does that work for you?

Shoko December 20, 2012 at 4:36 pm

amazing!!! congratulations, ronnie!

Milynn {love and whimsy} December 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Congrats!! That is such wonderful news to open your inbox to! I seriously love your layouts (they are always so beautiful!!) and love that you explain how you do them. I really could use the tutorial :)

Pink Ronnie December 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Thank you so much Milynn, appreciate your thoroughly kind words. I’m hoping to write more tutorials in 2013.

Julia Kuku Couture December 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I have been super inspired by you and your project life posts lately and I have decided I am going to jump on the project life bandwagon in 2013. I am going to do it all digital though and print them at the end of the year. I spent an hour the other day looking at all the digital layout out there that I can use that will make it really easy for me to just pop my photos in thanks for the fab ideas.

Pink Ronnie December 24, 2012 at 9:42 am

That’s really great, Julia! I know lots of people who do Project Life digitally and it works really well for them.

stephanie December 25, 2012 at 8:29 am

wow! congratulations! looking forward to seeing more in the new year!

Jenny September 29, 2013 at 6:57 am

Hi,

Small world, is that Ann T in the photos. Small world. I did email you ages ago, because I was encouraged by your stuff, and that you were a Christian.
Since then, Derek and I are expecting, we are in week 36. And I’ve just opened up my first Mini project life album to start memory keeping. Thanks for the idea!

xoxo Jenny

Jenny September 29, 2013 at 6:57 am

Hi,

xoxo Jenny

Pink Ronnie September 29, 2013 at 7:02 am

Hi Jenny,

Yes, it is Ann T! Small world indeed, but then, I’m not surprised because most people know Ann! She’s one of my most favourite people in the world. I became a Christian because of her faithful efforts in sharing the gospel with me over the course of ten years!

A big congratulations on the impending arrival of your baby! I hope the next few weeks go smoothly and beautifully for you. It will be a joy to document such a special time in your lives.