Project Life, Weeks 32 and 33 (and lots of insert goodness)

Weeks 32 and 33 continued the documentation of our family holiday back in August. For the first time since I started Project Life back in May, I actually did a double spread for a single week. Talk about living dangerously, right? I’m glad I did it though: despite the fact that we didn’t go anywhere, our holiday was nonetheless full of precious memories which I’m glad to have recorded in our Project Life album. In addition to the double spread, there were also a few extra inserts which I’ll also show you today (you can click on each image for a larger version).

Most of the photos I include in our family Project Life album are the ones taken on my iPhone. However, I made an exception here because we were spending so much time with the boys in the holidays, so I decided to include a few portrait shots that I took using our Canon EOS (and yes, most portrait shots take place at the meals table because that’s when they’re all sitting down properly!). That smaller black and white photo in the middle, with the boys in the foreground and the buildings in the background, is one of my favourite photos as it has such a dramatic feel to it (whereas in reality they were just running around hysterically, wanting Rick to pick them up and swing them around).

Yup, drinking fruit smoothies, driving into the bush and watching the sunset down at the beach pretty much sums up a large portion of our holiday! I also adore that picture of Angus and Pete in the top right – it’s a lovely little snapshot of their friendship. Oh, and I’m giving myself extra brownie points for including not one but two photos of myself on this page – even if one of them is simply of my shadow…

Those sweet little moments between Angus and Pete continue on this page, along with snapshots of our various expeditions to cafes and yum cha restaurants. And of course, the sea. Always the sea.

As you can, I loved the 8×8 insert format from Week 31 so much that I decided to make it an ongoing staple. In this instance, it was the perfect way to showcase our trip to the Sturt gardens and cafe in Mittagong. Looking at a storyboard like this makes me so happy.

Week 33 was the first spread in which I used more black and white photos than colour ones, and I quite liked the effect of it. As a matter of practice, I don’t often convert photos to black and white. However, here I felt that the colours in the original images of the beach were too stark and distracting. By stripping them away, and leaving only black and white, it adds drama and interest and draws the eye to what Rick and the boys are actually doing inside the photo. (You’ll also notice that I moved ‘Week 33′ up from the bottom of the photo, to make it work with the image that I had chosen.)

In contrast to the previous page, I do love the different shades of blue here. This was the week we discovered Freshwater for the first time (it only took us eight months). I remember how fun it was to explore a new beach. Not only was it small, cosy and generally empty, there was even a small playground nearby and a kiosk near the car park that sold great coffee. That was a good day, that one.

Rick and I were very fortunate that week to be able to sneak away for one night to one of our favourite places in the south: the Acacia House in Milton. I wrote a post about it here, and I wanted to include the post in the album as a more detailed record of our ‘romantic getaway.’ I simply used the 6×12 template that I had already designed for past weeks.

And because I took so many photos at the gorgeous bed & breakfast, I simply had to include them in yet another 8×8 insert…

And that’s it! Our 2012 family holiday recorded for us to look back on in years to come. I love that I didn’t need to do anything separate for the holiday – it just fit right into the rest of our Project Life album, simply with extra inserts and one cunning double spread.

I would love to know – how do you guys record or document your holidays?

You can read my other Project Life posts here.

Materials used: Becky Higgins Design A page protector; American Craft 8×8 page protector; Kodak 170gsm glossy photo paper. All photos printed on the Canon MP630 Pixma.

(Linking up with The Mom Creative and Kootoyoo.)

Heathyr November 15, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Ronnie, I LOVE your PL! I read in one of your other posts that you use the CrossProcess app… I love the vintage feel of your iPhone photos… What do you have your CrossProcess settings set at? Just the basic option or the red, green, blue, et all? Thanks!!

Pink Ronnie November 16, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Why thank you! You are so sweet. I had been using the CrossProcess app in the past but nowadays I am more likely to use the VSCO Cam app. When I was using CrossProcess, I tended to just have it on the ‘Basic’ setting. When I wanted more contrast/drama, I would flick on the ‘Extreme’ option. Hope that helps!
Thanks so much for stopping by.

G November 15, 2012 at 6:47 pm

You will be so grateful to have these – they are so beautiful. I love the way you’ve gathered the images. x

Steph November 15, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Simply magic!! These beautful books will be passed down from generation to generation. Your children’s children…and theirs..will thank you for this momentous and so lovingly crafted journal of your days. Amazing and ever so beautiful!
Steph :) xx
thisbrownwren.blogspot.com

Catherine November 15, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Ronnie you’ve done a beautiful job creating this album for you and your family. It’s such a special thing to have to look back on in years to come and remember those moments you all enjoyed together. Little ones grow so fast I think it’s great that you’re capturing these time when they are young. x

Erika Lee Sears November 16, 2012 at 12:06 am

I love the whole idea of project life and being able to look back on all the wonderful memories.

Alli November 16, 2012 at 12:13 am

Your project life project is great. I still love looking back at the photo albums my mum made when I was a kid.

We haven’t really gone on holidays with our bub yet. I was thinking however, that when we do we’d make a photo book. We made one of the first few months of our baby’s life and we really should make another one soon.

I answered your question in the comments on my blog :)

Pink Ronnie November 20, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Thank you Alli!

Sammy G. November 16, 2012 at 2:13 am

always love your project life! the pictures are so amazing and it is hard to believe it is only from your iphone! I love the black and white, it looks perfect with everything!

Chantel November 16, 2012 at 6:44 am

I love these pages so much! I love the dramatic black and white and then the blue tones on the next page. So amazing. And I love all the inserts. I’m going to have to get some different sizes of page protectors for some cool inserts. I’ve decided I’m catching up on Project Life this weekend, I’m doing August-the end of October. Many of the weeks are started but I need to get my butt in gear and finish them. You’ve totally made me want to do that now.

Pink Ronnie November 20, 2012 at 1:15 pm

That’s great Chantel – I’m currently working on all of 2011 (adopting a monthly approach though).

stephanie November 16, 2012 at 8:32 am

Enjoying your lovely work, would so love to get some pages done – wish i had the time!

Geraldine Tan November 16, 2012 at 9:32 am

Such beautiful albums and photography. Your kids are so lucky to have their journey through life documented. x

Jane November 16, 2012 at 10:40 am

These are simply precious. Better than treasures! I know I’ve said this before, but I love how you tell stories – with words and with pictures. I wish to be a storyteller like you!

Latrina November 16, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Inspiring & gorgeous as always! I am really liking the 8×8 spreads as well as the single page ones you did of your romantic getaway. :)

amber November 16, 2012 at 3:20 pm

ronnie!!

i think i mentioned this the last time that i visited, but i love love love your blog. your photography is so inspiring to me. i can’t believe that the majority of these were taken with an iphone! i actually just got my first iphone today, and signed up for instagram… my goal for the next three months (starting three weeks ago) was to take at least one photo every day, and so far so good. i just noticed that you have a little section on your blog “snap me happy, iphone photography tips” which i will devote myself to reading through this weekend. i’m so excited to use the camera on my new iphone, and these photos inspired me so much!

i actually don’t ever really record any of our holidays. well, we don’t take vacations if that’s what you mean by holidays, but on actual holidays like christmas and stuff, i’ve never even really taken photos. i don’t know why, i just never thought about it. i got into photography a lot this past year, so i surely will be documenting for years to come :)

there are so many photos in this post i love, can’t name them all, but some of note… plaid yellow poncho (standing), black and white photo of someone with their hands in pockets and looks like they have a camera around their neck, tea with side of toast, boys playing on sidewalk holding hands.

also, glad you liked my pie cone diy. enjoy the weekend, dear :)

xox, amber

Pink Ronnie November 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Gosh Amber, you are the sweetest! Thanks for such a lovely comment and for putting a smile on my face. I’m glad you find my photography inspiring – I like being able to capture the every day with my iPhone camera since that’s the camera that I have with me all the time. Hoping to write another Snap Me Happy post real soon!
Hope your weekend is lovely too.

Janna Werner November 16, 2012 at 10:06 pm

one word: beautiful!!

Pink Ronnie November 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Thank you Jenna, and thanks for stopping by.

vee November 17, 2012 at 6:03 am

your album is gorgeous! thank you for stopping by my blog and saying hi! :) xo

Pink Ronnie November 17, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Thanks so much Vee – appreciate you visiting here as well.

Natalie November 17, 2012 at 8:31 pm

What beautiful memories you are capturing. I would so much love to do something like this ….just not sure I can find the time between the children, cooking, some sewing and blogging! I would love to know hoe you edit your photos (adding the text or grouping together) if you have a moment :)

Natalie from http://thelittlegnomeshome.blogspot.com.au/
x

Pink Ronnie November 17, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Once you get into the swing of it, it doesn’t have to take up too much time. I think it only takes me about 30 minutes a week now which I’m very happy with. In terms of photo editing, I add text and layout the photos in Adobe InDesign. You can do it in Adobe Photoshop too but I prefer InDesign as I think it’s actually easier.

Laura Gofton November 17, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I know always say this but I really love your Project Life and the way you put it all together. Such precious memories, beautifully recorded.

The black and whites are stunning too!

x Laura

Julia Kuku Couture November 18, 2012 at 12:55 am

Ronnie, my jaw dropped when I read that your project life photos are taken on your iPhone. They look so amazing I am beyond impressed by your iphoneography skills.

I think I am going to have to look into project life it looks amazing.

I usually make an album for our holidays in a printed book and then make a slideshow using the same pages. I hate slideshows but my hubby and his family have always done it that way so we do it to.
xx

Seaweed & Raine November 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Project Life – What a great idea! You certainly have an eye for great composition – iphone or not! I really enjoyed your images. :)

Pink Ronnie November 20, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Thank you, and appreciate you stopping by here.

claire November 19, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Love seeing all the insert options….Think some Project Life goodies will be top of my birthday list – so I might even send you a little email in the next few weeks for some advice….x

Pink Ronnie November 20, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Oh yes, sounds wonderful Claire! Feel free to get in touch with questions. :)