Project Life, Weeks 34 to 36

As you can see, I am now on a mission to catch up on my Project Life posts before the year end, so that I can start afresh for 2013! I figure that combining three weeks in one post should do the trick. So I apologise in advance for the bombardment of Project Life goodness! (You can click on each image for a larger view.)

Now that we live just a short drive away from Chatswood in Sydney, we go there almost once a week for dinner with the boys. On this particular occasion, I’d taken my parents there with Pete and Jamie, and dad – being the photography enthusiast that he is – made the most of the opportunity to snap photos of the boys on his Canon EOS. That’s him in the top right, looking all hip and groovy in his beanie. Actually, if you do live near Chatswood, you should note that there is a secret rooftop garden at the Chatswood Concourse which is usually quite empty and just perfect for letting the kids roam free for awhile. (Oh, and that’s Angus doing a double balancing act on his head with both a cup and a toy boat. We’re a talented family, that’s what we are.)

Every time I see this page, I feel all happy and sunny inside. It was actually a winter’s day but the sun was out and the sky was pure blue. Nothing like stopping by the beach for a bit of sand and fun. I’m not quite sure why I didn’t line up the horizon on those bottom two photos, but as an ultimate test of my character, I am not going to fix it. Because like I’ve said before, Project Life is not about perfection.

I didn’t really take that many photos in Week 35, but I did have some photos that I’d taken for my blog, so I simply included them in the album to fill up the left hand page. I ended up really liking the spread for this week: it offers a bit of calm breathing space amongst all the other busy pages.

The sense of serenity continues on the right hand page. One particular thing that strikes me about this layout is that the top right photo of the lake at Akuna Bay seems to mirror the photo I took of our bedroom curtains right underneath it in terms of lighting, colour and composition. I also love the photo of Rick and the boys in the bottom right – with Jamie doing his own thing as always. For someone who’s only one and a half, he’s as independent as they come.

Just random shots of every day life on this left hand page for Week 36. It’s almost impossible for me to get face shots of Pete nowadays, so photos of him from above as he climbs around on the couch just have to do…

We discovered the amazing lookout from North Head Sanctuary (near Manly) on our day off that week. I remember it being a cold and blustery day, so we stayed inside the car for most of it as we drank in the view. I also remember craving hot soup (ah, first trimester…) so when I saw a small cafe tucked away amongst the bushes, I raced over and waited for almost twenty minutes while the chef seemingly made minestrone soup from scratch (sadly, it wasn’t as good as the ones from a can, in my opinion). As for that pork chop and pasta dish which Rick made that week – it was just divine. I love my husband and I love his cooking!

I’ve been noticing for a while now that my Project Life approach is becoming increasingly simplistic. Most weeks, the layout consists of just photos and hardly any text at all. Initially, I worried about this and fretted that perhaps I should be journalling more. But as I flip through the album, this is what I’ve concluded: photos really do speak a thousand words. When I lay my eyes on any photo in the album, I am able to recall the entire scene, the mood, the circumstances, the emotions and all the other details from that singular moment in time – without a single written word. So let me encourage you today – don’t underestimate the power of the photos that you take.

You can read my other Project Life posts here.

Materials used: Becky Higgins Design A page protector;Kodak 170gsm glossy photo paper. All photos printed on the Canon MP630 Pixma.

(Linking up with The Mom Creative.)

jorjiapeach November 28, 2012 at 3:57 pm

these pictures are gorgeous. and i love the project. i’m considering something similar. so many ideas.

Pink Ronnie November 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Lovely to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by. If you’re looking into Project Life, you should check out Becky Higgins’ website (www.beckyhiggins.com) – lots of useful information and heaps of ideas to consider.

G November 28, 2012 at 6:26 pm

lovely pictures Ronnie. I was looking through my grandparents photo albums recently – a picture truly does speak a thousand words.. even when you’re looking 50 years later. x

Danya Banya November 28, 2012 at 7:27 pm

What a lovely keepsake!

Pink Ronnie November 30, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Thank you so much – and it’s lovely to have you stop by.

libbywilko November 28, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I am so drawn to your pages this week , Love the stylish simplicity to them. Thank you so much for sharing them with us :-)

eskimo*rose November 28, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I love your spreads Ronnie – I think I’m going to import you to the UK so that you can sort my mountain out! Hope you are well xx

Pink Ronnie November 30, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Would LOVE a trip to the UK. :)

Fiona November 29, 2012 at 2:29 am

Lovely pages, Ronnie. The blue sky in those beach pictures is simply amazing! Somehow your pages don’t look cluttered, even though they’re full of photos. The week with all the flowers is so restful to the eye. Once again, beautiful pages! I also trying to catch up before the end of 2012 ;)

Kelli @ WhimsiKel November 29, 2012 at 4:39 am

Beautiful pages, Ronnie! I love the page with the beach photos, and I applaud you for not fixing the horizon line-up! It’s those imperfections that give these albums personality.

Pink Ronnie November 30, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Thanks Kelli, and thanks for visting here! Appreciate your sweet comment.

Helen November 29, 2012 at 7:13 am

I love the page with the beach pictures – may have to “scraplift” you and do something similar next year (as we’ll finally be moving near to a beach!). Your Project Life is gorgeous and inspiring!

Pink Ronnie November 30, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Scraplift away Helen! Thanks for swining by.

Cerise November 29, 2012 at 8:09 am

I really love how simple and clean your layouts are. Just gorgeous.
The beach photos are amazing. Something about the ocean always puts me at peace.

Jane November 29, 2012 at 11:27 am

I love pictures of people taking pictures. And the blues in the beach shots are really eye catching! I also love your simple layouts! So clean and easy to view.

Latrina November 29, 2012 at 12:42 pm

“Don’t underestimate the power of the photos that you take.” I completely agree, Ronnie! A photo truly does speak for itself. I’m a firm believer on memory-keeping… and I do that by photographs. I can not tell you just how many photographs I have stored away… thousands… and even though there is no text attached to them, I can recall that specific moment in such detail.. so much that words aren’t even needed.

I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed your past few week’s of Project Life! I love how each spread is completely different than the others… I am in loooove with the beach scene ones. I can’t get over how well the entire spread looks, the lines.. the colors.. the mood.. and the motion & also stillness you managed to capture in each photo. Beautifully done, Ronnie!!

Pink Ronnie November 30, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Thanks Latrina. I think we’re very similar like that – you and I. :)

Buckeroomama November 29, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I’d thought about doing Project Life, but they were out-of-stock for most of the things that I wanted, so I never really got started.

I probably would be using minimal text if I ever do Project Life, too. :)

Jen November 30, 2012 at 4:29 am

Your project life idea is amazing and I can’t get over how beautiful these layouts are. And I don’t think you should worry about having too little words since each picture in itself tells a beautiful story of its own. :)

JennifHsieh

Joy November 30, 2012 at 7:56 am

There are times I get caught up in trying to journal in my PL so that I don’t forget what exactly was happening. But when I look back on spreads where there are hardly any words, I have no problem remembering. I love the blues in your photos!

Chloe Moon December 1, 2012 at 1:49 am

I love this Project Life idea…I’m going to try and do something similar for 2013… =)

Ergo – Blog

lamina @ do a bit December 1, 2012 at 11:44 pm

LOVE all these photos! Such lovely spreads too! :) Yes I agree a picture can say 1000 words… they just speak for themselves! Beautiful!