Angus’ 4th birthday party

Here are a few of glimpses of Angus’ 4th birthday party from two weekends ago. It was a sweltering hot day, and we pulled together most of the details at the last minute, but nonetheless, we all had a great deal of fun! Rick organised all the games and basically ran the party, and I would like to say – with the biggest smile on my face – what an amazing job he did! (I’m just disappointed for his sake that we forgot to play ‘Pin the car part on the Land Rover,’ which he’d spent over an hour working on the night before.)

Anyway, due to the pregnancy, I took more of a back seat with the party organisation this time round, but I’m happy I still managed to help with the graphics and decorations. I know I said that my preparations for Jamie’s 1st birthday were last minute, but this was even more so! I literally threw together all the design elements the day before. With so little time, I concentrated on just a few things for maximum impact:

{ The balloon wall }

I got the idea for this balloon wall from Rebecca, who did something similar for Bri and Angela’s recent Blogshop class in New York (you can see it in the background of the photos). I’d emailed her asking about it, and she kindly replied with some simple instructions on how to pull it together.

Basically, all you need are balloons, a sheet of plywood and some 3M Scotch tape. If you prefer a white background, then you can paint your plywood white. Luckily for us, we had a spare white door lying around (as you do), and so I just used that as the backing (you can pick one up from Bunnings – they’re quite inexpensive). Then, all you need to do is to blow up your balloons (thank you, husband) and attach them in a random pattern with the Scotch tape (Rebecca also suggested using thumb tacks but I found that the Scotch tape managed to hold the balloons just fine for an entire day). Try and cover as much of the surface area as you can, and then just lean the plywood or door up against a wall! Voila. Minimum effort. Maximum impact!

I loved this balloon wall because I felt that it was an interesting alternative to having balloons strung up around the place. In terms of colour, I simply chose the three most vibrant colours from the variety pack that Rick had bought. I decided to cluster each colour together, and I loved the effect of it. This balloon wall is definitely something I would do again for future parties.

{ the party favour bags }

These were completely and utterly inspired by this post by Jordan from Oh Happy Day. I simply used the standard brown paper lunch bags that you buy from the supermarkets. I was worried at first that the paper would be too flimsy, but once I taped the top down like Jordan suggests, it went through my Canon Pixma just fine (there was no need to tape the bottom because the supermarket lunch bags here in Australia are flat to begin with).

As for the design, I more or less just copied Jordan’s idea but I used a simpler font (Helvetica Rounded), and of course I changed the message to read, “thank you for coming to angus’ 4th birthday party.” I liked that the blue background tied in well with the blue balloons. Inside the bags, we put a Matchbox car, a plastic animal, a small bottle of bubble mix and a Milky Way, and then I simply taped the top back down. (I’m seriously patting myself on the back for not staying up through the night making my own party favours like last time!).

{ the food toppers }

Having made the party favour bags, these were a cinch to do. I merely copied the circle design but made it smaller. Since the design was so simple, I decided to add some quirk and character by inserting an extra ‘tagline’ of sorts. I did this completely spontaneously and just wrote the first thing that came into my head (it’s probably a good thing I never became an advertising executive in my career). I did eight to an A4 page, but I’m quite sure I could’ve fit more if I’d tried harder (or had more time). I printed them out onto glossy Kodak photo paper (which I already had) and then cut out the circles and taped them onto skewers which I’d already trimmed down to the right height (toothpicks would’ve worked fine too).

These were the three things that I chose to put my time and energy into the day before the party and I’m quite stoked with my decision. Like I said, I could’ve stressed and tried to do a hundred more things to try and ‘style’ the party even further by staying up all night, but given my physical state, I opted to do the sensible thing and rest instead. Sometimes it’s about knowing your boundaries and working with them.

And at the end of the day, the most important thing was that we celebrated Angus’ birthday with his friends and family (which we did) and that our little big boy had a great time (which he did).

Happy birthday, Angus. Thank you for bringing so much joy to our lives these last four years. We love you, little man.

(Linking up with Grace.)

Meg November 1, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Love those favor bags!

rooth November 2, 2012 at 12:45 am

Oh my goodness, four?! They’re growing up so quickly – sniff. You all did a wonderful job with the party decorations. And I’m intrigued. Fairy bread – what IS that!

Jackie November 2, 2012 at 11:44 am

I’m also curious as to what fairy bread is! Everything at the party looks great. I think you’re right about people enjoying themselves being the most important part. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves that so we don’t over stress about the little things.

Pink Ronnie November 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Hey Jackie, fairy bread is bread with margarine and hundreds & thousands spread on top!

Pink Ronnie November 2, 2012 at 4:10 pm

It’s white bread (usually) spread with butter or margarine, with hundreds & thousands sprinkled on top! It is soooo yummy. Brings me back to my childhood.

BrigittaR November 5, 2012 at 10:47 pm

It is the BEST. That’s what it is.

Pink Ronnie November 7, 2012 at 8:07 pm

LOL. So true, Brigitta.

Vicki November 2, 2012 at 1:02 am

Ahhh! Party perfection! I love each of the projects you focused on! I think I might have to try one of those balloon walls. Too bad I don’t have an extra door laying around. : ) Great job, friend!

Jane November 2, 2012 at 3:15 am

Your big boy is so handsome! It sounds and LOOKS like a great birthday party. And thanks so much for your ideas and resources and tips! It’s never ending!

Viki November 2, 2012 at 4:28 am

Looks fantastic, and even more so that you didn’t stress about it the night before. And I HAVE to agree, fairy bread is the best party food. And simple which is a bonus!

workingwomenaus November 2, 2012 at 6:58 am

I love the idea of the balloon wall! So effective yet easy to do. I’ll use that one for our upcoming birthdays x

iSophie November 2, 2012 at 7:00 am

I really like those few little things that you did to make it a unique party and not the same ole same. Balloon wall is a great idea. Im wondering though, did kids try to knock them off and play with them? My boys are older though, eldest is 8, then 6, and they would have a field day with a balloon board and prob make short work of it!

I had never thought of print on bags for party bags, that is a great idea!! You could do so much with that idea, I love it!

And so great that you took a back seat, it is really hard to do.

(I’m one of your neighbours on FYBF!!)

Pink Ronnie November 2, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Welcome Soph! Actually, surprisingly, none of the kids tried to destroy them or play with them (my little boys were under strict instruction not to touch the balloons). Although some of the parents did ask me whether it was for a dart game (which I think would be a great ‘end of party’ game for older kids!)

Jo November 2, 2012 at 7:12 am

I’m intrigued to know how pin the car part on the Land Rover works! Some really great ideas for parties – I love the balloon wall!

Jodi November 2, 2012 at 7:15 am

Ronnie, it looks great! The balloon wall looks fantastic and the combination of colours goes really well together. The goodie bag idea is fab, I may have to steal that for next year for my daughter’s 3rd birthday.

#FYBF

housewifeinheels November 2, 2012 at 8:07 am

Gorgeous party. I love the balloon wall! I also like to invest time in the details such as the food toppers (particularly when they have a cutesy message on them!) and the favour bags. Happy fourth birthday to your boy x

Charlotte November 2, 2012 at 11:11 am

Happy birthday Angus! You are so lucky to be in a family who loves you so much.

What is fairy bread? Sounds tasty.

Pink Ronnie November 2, 2012 at 4:14 pm

LOL, third person to ask this. Sometimes I forget I’m Australian. :)
It’s simply bread with margarine and hundreds & thousands sprinkled on top!

Yvette @ Little Bento Blog November 2, 2012 at 11:48 am

What a fabulous artistic balloon wall!! Thats so cool!!! Very effective!

Love the food toppers!!

FYBF :)

Soph Russell November 2, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Ronnie, your minimal effort party looks like my maximum effort party! (But this coming from a girl who buys a Freddo frog ice cream cake last minute from Woollies because she’s forgotten the cake).

Looked like the little one had heaps of fun. 4 is a big milestone! Hope it was a lovely day!

Debie Grace November 2, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Angus is such a cute little boy! Happy birthday to him :D

Latrina November 2, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Ronnie, this is so sweet! What a lovely little birthday party. You and the Mr done such a wonderful job. Birthdays in my family are such a big event.. I can’t wait to style & organize my own kid’s party someday. :)

trishie November 2, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Happy Birthday to your little man! He looks so adorable. You did a great job with the balloon wall, love the idea so much I might have to steal it!

Tracey @ Bliss Amongst Chaos November 2, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Your ideas look wonderful Ronnie. I hope Angus had a great time :-)
xx

Shoko November 3, 2012 at 3:35 am

this looks like a blast! and fairy bread? i have never heard of that, but i need it in my life ASAP.

Geraldine Tan November 3, 2012 at 7:03 am

so many great ideas to try for the next party. Have a lovely weekend Ronnie :) x

Nirupama November 4, 2012 at 6:20 am

Ahhhh, everything you do is lovely. The balloon wall looks fab! I’m glad it was a happy birthday :)

Chantel November 4, 2012 at 7:03 am

That balloon wall/door is so great! I want to have a party right now so I can make one of those. The colors are just the best too. I read this post right after reading Ashley Ann’s (Under the Sycamore) post about a kid party that raises money for a cause/charity and the two of you just have the wheels in my head spinning with ideas! :) Thanks Ronnie, you are always such a source of inspiration!

Pink Ronnie November 4, 2012 at 9:59 pm

That’s such a great idea to raise money for a cause/charity. I’m going to try and remember that for the future. Thanks Chantel.

Grace November 4, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Oh, wow! That balloon wall is amazing!!! Minimum effort, maximum impact!
I wish I had an inch of your creativity and flair!
Happy 4th Birthday, Angus! :) x

Kylie @ Octavia and Vicky November 5, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Absolutely stunning, as always. I love a good frankfurter is sauce, any time (except now… I’m avoiding them while pregnant…. I’m not even sure if I’m supposed to!?).

Alicia November 5, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Hubby and you did a fantastic job putting your own touches on Angus’ birthday. Good job! Love the lolly bag idea :)

Pink Ronnie November 7, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Thanks Alicia, and appreciate you visiting here too.