Project Life, Week 31, and how I chose to document a holiday

It seems like a lifetime ago now, but Week 31 marked the beginning of our family holiday back in August. It was such a wonderful time. No commitments. No deadlines. Nowhere we had to be. Just the five of us, and fourteen fun-filled days of being together.

Unlike most of our family holidays, we opted to stay at home this time – partly to save money and partly because I couldn’t be bothered to pack for two adults and three small children, if you must know the truth. It worked out really well though: we had the beaches within five minutes drive; we treated the boys to a train trip; we had everything we needed around the house; I could do scrapbooking whenever I wanted; we made multiple road trips down to the Southern Highlands; and best of all, Rick had fun setting up tents and hoochies for the boys in our backyard.

For those two entire weeks (and the two weeks that followed), I didn’t work on our Project Life at all. Mainly because I hadn’t quite worked out how best to document our holiday. And so I procrastinated. And procrastinated some more. (I’m good at that.) In the end, after endless cups of coffee, I decided that I would use my normal weekly format, with additional inserts where appropriate and possibly even two spreads per week if I couldn’t fit it all onto one spread. I was really happy with this decision, and will probably stick to this for future holidays, at least for similar ‘staycations’ anyway.

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you’ll probably recognise lots of photos from the golden hour series. We simply had so much time in the holidays to just hang around at home as a family. It was so lovely. In fact, I had so many photos from one particular afternoon that I decided to turn them into an 8×8 insert (remember you can click on the image for a larger version)…

This is a large part of the reason why I love Project Life so much. It is so flexible. You can add inserts like crazy. There’s no limit to what you can or can’t do. Anyway, this was the first time I’d used an 8×8 insert. In the past, I’d only used 6×12 inserts (see Week 15 for example). The reason I chose 8×8 this time was because I wanted to be able to have bigger images than the 6×12 collage format allowed. I also liked how the sixteen images in the collage together formed a square, which I felt gave the images even bigger emphasis. I love how the final result is almost like a storyboard.

On the other side of the insert, I simply chose three of my favourite photos of the boys that I’d taken on the Canon EOS, framed them with white space and added a single line of text underneath. My constant motto: Keep things as simple as can be.

My next Project Life post, Week 32, will continue the holiday documentation so stay tuned. Meanwhile, just wanted to say that I’m thinking of everyone on the East Coast of the States. My thoughts are with you guys. I can’t imagine how scary it must be over there right now. I’ll be checking Twitter constantly to see how you’re all going. Stay safe, friends.

You can read my other Project Life posts here.

Materials used: Becky Higgins Design A page protector; American Craft 8×8 page protector; Kodak 170gsm glossy photo paper. All photos printed on the Canon MP630 Pixma.

(Linking up with The Mom Creative.)

claire October 30, 2012 at 10:50 pm

GURU! I’m telling you……x

Pink Ronnie November 2, 2012 at 7:37 am

LOL – thanks Claire.

libbywilko October 30, 2012 at 11:49 pm

Love your pages & the 8×8 insert rocks !

Jane October 31, 2012 at 12:31 am

I just can’t get enough of your Project Life and your photos in general. I love the captures, the colors and the wonderful story they tell.

rooth October 31, 2012 at 3:06 am

I like how you guys went on a ‘staycation’ – no pressure and without the stress of traveling. Sometimes that’s the best way to give your mind a break!

Pink Ronnie November 2, 2012 at 7:39 am

It was lovely. We’ll probably try and go away next time, but it was exactly what we needed in the middle of the year…

Catherine at Design Editor October 31, 2012 at 7:52 am

Perfection!

Debie Grace October 31, 2012 at 10:51 am

Lovely. Your crafts and your photos are always lovely. :D

trishie October 31, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I’m not surprised to see that many of the photos from your golden hour series made it there. They are really lovely.

small catalogue October 31, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I started project lifing late last year and am completely hooked. I can’t abide scrapbooking, but this… this I love (which I know makes me sound like a complete knob).

Nirupama October 31, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Love, love, love your project life! This is truly awe inspiring. It is always tough to tackle a vacation week. I just got done with one and it is much more cluttered, lol. I love that insert you did too, very elegant.

Pink Ronnie November 2, 2012 at 7:40 am

Thanks for your kind words Nirupama, and thanks for stopping by too!

Steph October 31, 2012 at 9:05 pm

A story book sounds magic! Just what an album should be. Something to delve into and pour over. ALways so ispiring!! Wishing you the most wonderful of Thursdays.
Steph :) x
(formerly mon petit poppet)

Cerise November 1, 2012 at 2:56 am

I can almost feel how relaxed your staycation was by looking at your pictures. Sometimes just doing stuff around home is enough. I wish we lived that close to the beaches. I don’t think we would ever leave!

Pink Ronnie November 2, 2012 at 7:46 am

We’ll probably never leave this close to the beaches again, so need to make the most of it!

Chantel November 1, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Haha, I’ve been procrastinating on my PL, I haven’t done much for the past two months. But that’s what I love about this project, once I get back in the groove it will be so easy to complete those months. I really love your photos from your Golden Hour. And your boys are as cute as always. :)

Pink Ronnie November 2, 2012 at 7:45 am

I agree – it’s so easy to catch up on a few weeks. In fact, this month I’m tackling ALL OF 2011!!!

theresa November 1, 2012 at 9:50 pm

As always, LOVE YOUR LAYOUTS. your pictures are so incredible, and your ability to make such beautiful spreads without all the extra paper ephemera is really inspiring. Love it, Ronnie!

J3SS1C4 November 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Love the layout! The 8×8 pages is awesome! It’s always good to get to use lots of extra photos like that rather than feeling restricted and leaving them out.

Adele November 12, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Hi Rhonda,
I’m feeling very inspired by your project life stuff, and am thinking I might start one in 2013 (my new years resolution!).
I was wondering how you collate your insert pages – as there doesn’t seem to be plain/simple albums on the website.
Any other tips for a newbie are also welcome!
Thanks!

Pink Ronnie November 13, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Hi Adele,
That’s really exciting! I hope you do end up starting one in 2013 – I’m sure you won’t regret it. Are you referring to the binders? I’ve been purchasing the 12×12 binders by American Craft – the kraft ones with the coloured spines. I think I got them from scrapbook.com.
I wrote a post about getting started with Project Life back in July which might help: http://pinkronnie.com/2012/07/project-life-week-24-and-what-you-need-to-get-started/
Will also share more tips and my own PL process over the next few months. If you have any specific questions, feel free to email me!

Adele November 15, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Hi Ronnie,
Thanks so much for your reply – I’m all set now. yes, I like those binders, a bit more minimal than some of the other designs out there.
Your tips on starting up are great too!
All the best with your pregnancy – you look great!
Adele.