Hello there, welcome to my studio space (a room tour)

My studio, my office, my study – whatever you want to call it, it’s the one room in the house which is all mine. It’s the room where I work, write, blog, chill, crash and nap (in no particular order). (Okay maybe in reverse order).

My studio was the one room in the house which I had complete creative freedom when it came to decor, furnishings and layout. I could decide what I, and I alone, wanted to do with it (so much power, I know). Plus, Rick’s office had previously inherited my IKEA Billy bookcases and when we moved to this new home, I also gave him my IKEA Gallant desk (generous wife that I am). So yet again, I had a blank canvas to play with.

Ironically though, with so much ‘power’ and freedom, I was stuck for a very long time. I’m sure I went through at least five different ‘drafts’ of what I thought I wanted my studio to look like. I wanted a yellow table, no a white one, or maybe a black one, actually one of those old school industrial tables would be cool, or even just a plank of wood on two sawhorses (something which I would still love to do down the track). It was only after trawling through a gazillion images on the internet that I finally nailed what I thought my ‘true style’ was. And I think I got it right.

Even though there are still a few things I would like to do with my studio, the basics are all in place so why not share it now?

We may as well start with the much-hyped table. This is where I do the first three things I mentioned above: work, write and blog. An insane amount of paperwork also passes through here. As you can see the final table is not yellow, white, black nor industrial. It is, however, solid wood and has the most beautiful turned legs. I bought it on eBay for an awesome bargain, and Rick thereafter spent about a month and a half taking it apart, sanding it back, varnishing it and re-assembling it for me. A true labour of love. It sounds romantic but the reality was increasing frustration on my part that it was taking so long and increasing stress on Rick’s part that he couldn’t get it done as quickly as I wanted. In the end, it turned out beautifully, and I’m so thankful to my wonderful husband that he insisted on sanding it back twice with two separate varnish applications.

There is no art yet above my desk, as I’m still trying to decide whether to cover the wall with a inspiration/mood board, or to go for the more minimalist approach of an inspiration string similar to these beauties made by Bri and Jen.

Also in the picture: Yet another Tolix chair, this time in galvanised silver, and the same Space lamp as the one in the dining room. As you can see, when I’m onto a good thing, I don’t mind repeating it throughout the house.

I don’t even drink Pepsi but I love my vintage Pepsi crates. They are such an easy way to group a number of small items together. You can find them on both Etsy and eBay. As for the cushion on the seat: I’m not tall enough for the table and therefore need extra padding (my own version of a booster seat).

I saw this mid-century jewellery box on Etsy while I was browsing one day and just thought it was gorgeous. I was so pleased when it arrived as it was in almost mint condition and the actual colour and texture were both just lovely. I use it to store bits and pieces for crafting, as well as notes and cards that I’m hoping to include on my inspiration board/string. The letter B is from Freedom.

On the other side of the room, underneath the window, I have this stunning antique couch. This is where I do the latter three things: chill, crash and nap. I hunted this down on eBay two months before I even saw our new home. I knew, though, that I wanted something like that for my new studio and if it really didn’t work or fit, I could always use it in the living area. Despite being an antique, it is in the most beautiful condition, and boy am I glad I won the auction with my ninja-like last-minute auction-bidding skills. The burlap cushion is from The Nest UK, and offers a perfect contrast to the ornate detail of the couch. The quarto sheepskin is from New Zealand, and it is seriously the softest and fluffiest sheepskin my feet have ever stepped on.

To the right of the couch is this white Alex drawer from IKEA, which is incredibly well-designed and makes extremely good use of space. Again, it’s a nice contrast to the couch and table, in terms of colour, texture and design.

The framed artwork is one that I made myself several years ago now for our home in Newtown, using scraps of specialty paper that I’d found at a local art store. It is probably the most inexpensive piece of DIY art I’ve created to date. The frame is none other than the Ribba from IKEA, which comes with the matboard. Usually, I like to keep the space in front of the frame clear, but now and again, I like to make myself a pot of red date tea and drink it throughout the day. I can see myself doing this a lot during the cold months ahead!

On the other side of the couch are these vintage suitcases, which I was originally going to use in the boys’ room. However, when I put them next to the couch as a temporary ‘holding area’ while I worked on the boys’ rooms, I realised that it was actually the perfect place for them. They fill up the empty space nicely, plus I could finally get rid of my tatty old IKEA cardboard container which held the original packaging for all my software since I could now store them in these gorgeous suitcases instead. Inexpensive vintage suitcases can always be found on eBay or Etsy, and you can generally get them in pretty good condition too.

Yes, my studio has a walk-in! It’s awesome, because it is the perfect hideaway for my filing cabinet, and I’ve also managed to put in a narrow Billy bookcase (from IKEA) and a hanging organiser on one of the clothes rail. It’s like my dream storage space come true.

The vintage swivel chair was originally from Explore the Kerb, and the chalkboard sign is the one we made for Jamie’s birthday party. The ‘Make An Impact’ collage is just made up of promotional postcards from K.W.Doggett that I had in my paper stock folder. I had lots more that I could’ve used, but I decided to keep it simple and minimalist until I’d made a decision about the wall above my desk. The metal pail holds rolls of posters and leather, along with paintings that the boys have done at home which I’m planning to use as gift wrapping paper. The eye examination chart is a tea towel from Maia Gifts, which I hung up with bull clips that are stuck to the wall with Blu Tack. Simple, right?

I have a bit of an obsession with vintage signage, and had to limit myself to only three of these vintage petrol number signs from Etsy. Again, the numbers were meant to go in another room (the dining room in fact), but as soon as I put them against the wall on the floor of my walk-in, I knew they had to stay there. Who knows, down the track, I’m sure I’ll have fun swapping things around.

And if you’ve been wondering where on earth I put all my books and folders, here’s your answer: the IKEA Expedit! (Doesn’t everyone have one of these?) I’m still trying to decide what to do with the space on either side of the bookcase. I’ve been toying with the idea of an old wooden ladder, on which I can hang pictures and other keepsakes, but we’ll see. Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions!

To see my other room tours, go here.

Sara @ Zahara Dessert April 11, 2012 at 2:52 pm

LOVE LOVE this room tour! All the pieces in the room just work so beautifully together.

Belle April 11, 2012 at 3:35 pm

What a simple and beautiful studio! This is absolutely crazy- I have the exact same couch!! (+2 matching side chairs) I bought them used from a woman here in NYC on 23rd street, and, like you, absolutely adore them.
My couch is not in as good of condition as yours, though. There’s a snapshot of it in this post:

I recently discovered your blog and love it!
xx
Belle

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 4:58 pm

That is so awesome. What a crazy coincidence!
So glad you found my blog, so that I could find yours too.

kristina April 11, 2012 at 3:39 pm

i love your decorating style ronnie! thanks so much for sharing! every gal definitely needs their own space, especially one like yours ;) ;)
xoxo

Monica April 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm

a room of one’s own… virginia knew! lol

it has a very peaceful air about it. ah, to have a seat just for napping…. sigh

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Oh yes, Virginia had the right idea…
I know, I feel rather spoilt I have my own ‘fainting couch.’

Jane April 11, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Your studio space is amazing! I especialyl love the antique couch and suitcases. My room is definitely too tiny for nice things haha. I’m not looking to move out anytime soon but one thing about it I’m looking forward to is being able to decorate!

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Thanks Jane! Decorating can be fun and therapeutic, but I also like it when the decorating part is over and I can just enjoy the rooms….

rooth April 11, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Ronnie, I really like your studio space. From your gigantic solid wooden desk to the expedit bookcase (I have one in white), it has your stamp all over it. It looks very well put together and you can really get a sense of your style.

PS – I love Tolix chairs. I’m thinking of buying more to round out my dining chair collection but I can’t help but wonder if there’s anything else that’s out there

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I love my giant solid wooden desk too. It is definitely the right size for me, as I like to be able to ‘spread’ my work.

I’m actually also a fan of the Navy chairs and the Eames DSW chair. Have you seen them? What does your dining table look like?

fifth floor apartment April 11, 2012 at 11:36 pm

looks like its straight out of a really lovely magazine (in a good way). i love the texture and color choices!

xo alison

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Thanks Alison! That means a lot, coming from you!

Tamara @ Go Fish Style April 12, 2012 at 1:30 am

love it!

Cecilia April 12, 2012 at 1:36 am

hello there, dreamy couch!

you have incredible style. i would love it if my office was as lovely (i’m writing from a cubicle).

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:04 pm

“hello there, dreamy couch!” LOL Cecilia! (I guess I do dream a bit on that couch…)

Agata April 12, 2012 at 2:03 am

I love your photos, they are incredible. Everything is so well put together. They seem to give your studio a certain kind of mystery. Beautiful!

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Hi Agata,

Thanks for visiting and for taking the time to comment! I took the photos late in the afternoon on a cloudy day, so I think that lent the photos the almost dark and ‘mysterious’ feel.

amanda {the habit of being} April 12, 2012 at 4:26 am

LOVE your space! i want to move in :)

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Thanks Amanda. I’m not giving up the walk-in though. :)

Diane April 12, 2012 at 11:15 am

what a fun tour of your personal style and how you arrived there! Love it.

lamina @ do a bit April 12, 2012 at 7:26 pm

LOVE everything about it!!! What a wonderful space for you to call your own! I am sooooo envious and would love to hang out there :)

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Lamina, maybe we need to arrange a Sydney bloggers meet-up! :)

Jo April 12, 2012 at 8:49 pm

It’s so perfect! Plus I can’t believe how many things we have the same – the table, the chair, the computer, the pepsi crate, the ikea shelves/boxes… Love it! Your photos are so beautiful too, they look like gorgeous film shots. :) x

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Thanks Jo – I process the photos using the Crossprocess app, which give the photos that film look.

Jo April 14, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Ah! Brilliant thanks! I have spent hours on photoshop trying to achieve that kind of feel… I might give this app a go :) xo

Gloria April 13, 2012 at 1:40 am

What an amazing space! I love the idea of using vintage crates as a desktop organizer!

Johanna April 13, 2012 at 11:29 am

Fantastic space. That couch is so killer!

vitaminA April 13, 2012 at 1:27 pm

a beautifully well thought out and designed space! labour of love for sure. i definitely wouldn’t mind snoozing on that gorgeous couch! such great style you have, love this tour! thanks so much for taking the time to prep, shoot and share. xoxo

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Thanks Amy, seriously, you leave the sweetest comments. These room tour posts do take a while to prep, but I’m learning lots about taking photos of rooms and spaces.

vitaminA April 13, 2012 at 1:30 pm

oh and “ninja-like last-minute auction-bidding skills”. lol!!! love it. you go girl.

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Soph Russell April 13, 2012 at 3:18 pm

lovely room. Never thought of using bulldog clips to hang posters (though do you ever find blu tack chips the paint off? I always worry about this, living in a rental…)

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I think the key is to not leave them up for too long at a time. We’ve tried using those 3M strips in the past but they take off a LOT of paint despite what they say, so we figured Blu Tack would be the safer option.

Niru April 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Hi Ronnie,
I was just curious to know who you were and what your world was like. And I must say, honestly, I’m liking it here :) Amongst all the elegant decor, I quite love your aged yellow pepsi crate with a touch of dried branches in it.
Thank you for visiting me and for your kind words.

‘Life without Cameron’… it’s so touching, I’m lost for words!

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Hi Niru,
Thanks for visiting my little corner. Your blog is so poetic, feel so lucky to have found it. And thank you so much for visiting Cameron’s website. That means the world.

Emmie Gemmie April 14, 2012 at 12:48 pm

It looks like the most beautiful space.
I love what you have done with it.
I want a sheepskin now :)
I’m wondering why the letter B..?

Pink Ronnie April 14, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Ah, I was going to mention that. It was just a random letter, actually, when I picked it. But now that I look at it, it reminds me of a certain Bible verse: “Be still and know that I am God.”

thestripedelephant April 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm

That bookshelf is amazing! In fact the entire studio is. Loving the pillow – tres cute.

leila April 14, 2012 at 7:13 pm

hi ronnie! love your space! i have the expedit, too, but in birch. i also have this empty space on the side of my bookshelf! what to do, what to do.

really love your pillow as well : )

Pink Ronnie April 18, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Be sure to let me know when/if you do something with that space!

cory April 16, 2012 at 12:35 am

wow! nice job. BEAUTIFUL and inspiring
XO

Pink Ronnie April 23, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Thanks Cory for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment.

Simply Peachy April 19, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I love love love what you’ve done with your study. Such an inspirational space.

Pink Ronnie April 23, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Thanks San!

Angela April 24, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Your studio is so beautiful and organised! You have such an incredible eye for interior design. I have just repainted the walls and reorganised everything in my studio, but it’s no-where near as lovely as this. What an inspiring place to work in! xo

Pink Ronnie April 27, 2012 at 12:12 am

Thanks Angela for your kind words. I honestly think the photos make the room look nicer than it is in real life, due to the moody lighting. Would love a peek into your studio too!

Rebecca - A Daily Something May 16, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Ronnie, your studio is fantastic!!!!! Such great personality and attention to detail. I want to sit on your antique couch, drink some tea, and work there myself ;) If I ever come to Australia, can that be our plan? ;)

Pink Ronnie May 19, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Thanks Rebecca – you’re too sweet and you are definitely welcome to visit here should you come to Australia!

Katie @ Anniecookie May 30, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I love how you’ve done this room, and I lurve Tolix chairs! And your vintage swivel one is perfect too x.

Pink Ronnie June 3, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Thanks Katie – I’ve become really fond of the swivel chair, actually.

Latrina August 10, 2012 at 7:29 am

I just stumbled upon this post today. WOW, Ronnie! What a gorgeous, organized and beautifully designed studio… A lot like the studio I’d hope to have someday! We seem to have very similar tastes. :) Love this!

Pink Ronnie August 28, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Thanks Latrina. I do really like my studio. It’s my little sanctuary where I get to scrapbook and blog in solitude. Sometimes. :)

Suzanna November 17, 2012 at 2:23 am

I love everything about this office! Especially the couch and pillow.

Pink Ronnie November 19, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Have to say – that couch is my favourite too! It’s great for naps… :)

Maya @ House Nerd February 12, 2013 at 9:06 am

I know I’m just echoing everyone else… but I LOVE your decorating style! What a perfect room to work (and nap). I too love Tolix chairs… and I LOVE that cushy-looking, inviting couch (how you get any work done when a couch like that is beckoning with its arms, I don’t know). Love your photography too.

Pink Ronnie February 12, 2013 at 10:00 am

Thanks Maya, and oh yes, I love to nap on that couch… it’s extremely comfy. :)

Amber August 16, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I love your space, it’s awesome! Where did you get your sheep skin rug? Thanks!

Pink Ronnie August 17, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Hi Amber!
I got it from here: http://www.kiwi-sheepskins.com
It’s what they call a ‘quarto’ sheepskin (ie. four stitched together).